horned worms and silk worms???

erik775

Established Member
is it ok to feed my baby panther horned worms and silk worms every day???because i went to the reptile show and got my little guy "champ"some silkies and horned worms from the reptile show and he loves them...i think more than the crickets and Dubai roaches...

Personally I wouldn't. Chams that are raised on a staple diet of crix and dubia tend to become spoiled on worms if there offered more than once or twice a week. Champ may stop eating crix and dubia all together.

Personally I wouldn't. Chams that are raised on a staple diet of crix and dubia tend to become spoiled on worms if there offered more than once or twice a week. Champ may stop eating crix and dubia all together.

Yes, you are correct in what you say, atleast in my situation! My chameleon will not eat cricks and I won't have roaches cause I can't stand the sight of them. so he eats, silks, horns, supers, and wax. Once I started him on the worms he quit the crickets!!! I have tried repeatedly to reintroduce them and he would rather starve!!!

Yes, you are correct in what you say, atleast in my situation! My chameleon will not eat cricks and I won't have roaches cause I can't stand the sight of them. so he eats, silks, horns, supers, and wax. Once I started him on the worms he quit the crickets!!! I have tried repeatedly to reintroduce them and he would rather starve!!!

dam...lol...well rite now i am feeding him a mixture or silkies,crickets,roaches,and horned,worms...man I HATE CRICKETS...lol...so would it be ok for me to mix it up like that...if i feed him the crickets and roaches first,then when i see him eat those give him some worms???but is there any thing wrong with me feeding him silkies and horned worms every day besides the fact that he will get spoiled...dam i kind of dont want him to get spoiled either because its gonna be kind of hard to get silkies and horned worms all the time...lol...will he get spoiled if i mix it up every day...???

Hornworm question

At what temp will they die? I bought two habitat cups at the show, the guy said to keep them at room temp. But my house is cold... Bought them yesterday and today I didn't see them moving at all. Do you guys think they might be dead? Or what?? Do they turn any other color when they are about to die or dying?

Thanks

Variety is the spice of life. No one wants to eat the same thing all the time. Just switch it up and use one feeder every day. It's easy enough, although you will probably need to feed off the hornworms rather quickly or they will get too big.

If you do not over feed then the worm thing will probably not be a problem. If it does happen, then just don't feed him anything for a few days (it kind of depends on age) and then offer crickets. When they are hungry they will eat. Mine never refuse crickets, but crickets are not regularly offered.

dam...lol...well rite now i am feeding him a mixture or silkies,crickets,roaches,and horned,worms...man I HATE CRICKETS...lol...so would it be ok for me to mix it up like that...if i feed him the crickets and roaches first,then when i see him eat those give him some worms???but is there any thing wrong with me feeding him silkies and horned worms every day besides the fact that he will get spoiled...dam i kind of dont want him to get spoiled either because its gonna be kind of hard to get silkies and horned worms all the time...lol...will he get spoiled if i mix it up every day...???

sure why not! sounds like you have a nice variety to feed your chams.Well, I basically have my cham on a worm diet! I mean he eats like every other day but he just eats worms cause he wont eat crickets and as stated before I don't do roaches! Lots of different kinds and he seems pretty darn healthy to me! I just had some of my hornworms turn into moths today! So I am going to feed them off also.

At what temp will they die? I bought two habitat cups at the show, the guy said to keep them at room temp. But my house is cold... Bought them yesterday and today I didn't see them moving at all. Do you guys think they might be dead? Or what?? Do they turn any other color when they are about to die or dying?

Thanks

My house is at a constant 74-75 degrees and all my worms do well except the last bunch of silks died when I fed them some leaves off a neighbors bush. You will know when they will die, the silks get like brownish and the hornworms, well I have never had one die on me so I couldn't tell you!

My house is at a constant 74-75 degrees and all my worms do well except the last bunch of silks died when I fed them some leaves off a neighbors bush. You will know when they will die, the silks get like brownish and the hornworms, well I have never had one die on me so I couldn't tell you!

Thanks, if their alive I should still see some movement right? I don't see them moving at all, but I don't want to toss em just yet.

Thanks, if their alive I should still see some movement right? I don't see them moving at all, but I don't want to toss em just yet.

are they up near the top of the pod with the food, or are they all laying at the bottom? The hornworms don't move much at all unless you touch them. I just looked at al my silks and they are not moving either! I guess they are all sleeping!:rolleyes:

are they up near the top of the pod with the food, or are they all laying at the bottom? The hornworms don't move much at all unless you touch them. I just looked at al my silks and they are not moving either! I guess they are all sleeping!:rolleyes:

They are at the top near the food... I guess they are asleep as well...

Variety is the spice of life. No one wants to eat the same thing all the time. Just switch it up and use one feeder every day. It's easy enough, although you will probably need to feed off the hornworms rather quickly or they will get too big.

If you do not over feed then the worm thing will probably not be a problem. If it does happen, then just don't feed him anything for a few days (it kind of depends on age) and then offer crickets. When they are hungry they will eat. Mine never refuse crickets, but crickets are not regularly offered.

he is about 3 months he is from the kremmers...:)the sire is blue lightning...:)oh yeah and i also have butter worms...:)

Okay, for a baby you probably don't want to go more than a day at most if he starts getting picky. :) I just prefer to give a single prey item each feeding because they never know what I will give them next. It seems to keep them interested in the food no matter what insect it is. I feel like if I offered 'lame' bugs and then 'awesome' worms the animals would just start to refuse the 'lame' bugs until you give in. That happened to me when I experienced my first superworm binge. I had to get over it and be stern. :) they always love worms more, but they will eat any kind of food when I feed them.

Okay, for a baby you probably don't want to go more than a day at most if he starts getting picky. :) I just prefer to give a single prey item each feeding because they never know what I will give them next. It seems to keep them interested in the food no matter what insect it is. I feel like if I offered 'lame' bugs and then 'awesome' worms the animals would just start to refuse the 'lame' bugs until you give in. That happened to me when I experienced my first superworm binge. I had to get over it and be stern. :) they always love worms more, but they will eat any kind of food when I feed them.

ok cool so just switch it up then rite???dont feed him the worms every day???he eats the roaches and crickets really good but yeah i dont want him to be a little ass and get spoiled and just eat worms...lol...so it would be a good idea to switch it up every day then huh???

That's what I prefer to do. He definitely needs variety, but its your choice on how to give him the food. You should do what you think will work best for your situation. You know the animal better than I do.

You asked if silks can be a staple --- yes but include some chitin (like superworms) because they need some chitin for the health of their digestive track and to tighten up their bowel movements or else it gets really runny. Real runny poop = dehydration.

Back
Top Bottom