horn worm moth

mrluke

i have a couple of horn worms that are about to pupate and i w am woundering has anyone ever feed them to there cam. and r butterflies a good source of food and what kind i should use thanks

yes the moths are fine and rather huge, so if your cham is big enough then go ahead:)

butterflies are cool to feed though some are bad to feed, i hear to stay away from the "monarchs"

the "painted lady butterflies" i hear from from the sponsor hear "educated science" are good to feed.

hope this helps

and maybe wait for more people to chime in.

I too have fed the moths, but only to adult chams. They can be HUGE!! I also have fed the Painted Ladies, not much on nutrition, but a good treat/snack. It is very fun to watch them hunt the butterflies!!

Whatching them hunt butterflies is so much fun! Never seen them so animated tracking their prey. He just couldn't catch it fast enough. :)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
ya i can have heard they get huge like a five inch wing span but my vield can eat the full size worm no problem so that should not be a problem does anyone know where i can get some butterflys and maybe some stick bugs. has any one feed pinkeys to there cam. or any suggestions on something else. i use crickets, silkworms, superworms, hornworms sometimes wax there just a little small he get tired when he eats those thanks

ya i can have heard they get huge like a five inch wing span but my vield can eat the full size worm no problem so that should not be a problem does anyone know where i can get some butterflys and maybe some stick bugs. has any one feed pinkeys to there cam. or any suggestions on something else. i use crickets, silkworms, superworms, hornworms sometimes wax there just a little small he get tired when he eats those thanks

ive seen videos on youtube of ppl feeding white mice and small lizards to adult veiled chammies but i dont know if all chamms eat meat.

Speaking of full sized worms, I have been giving my male ambilobe super worms and he's dropping massive fecals now. I'm a little afraid to even see what a big butterfly would look like on the other end...

Larger chameleons such as the melleri LOVE the hornworm moths. Most times, however, I clip their wings so that there's more body to eat and less wing.

ive seen videos on youtube of ppl feeding white mice and small lizards to adult veiled chammies but i dont know if all chamms eat meat.

Chameleons are not supposed to eat meat. As insectivores they cannot handle a lot of animal protein in their diets - it can cause kidney damage and gout. Youtube is not the best example of good advice in any category. Just because I can do something stupid and get people to watch it doesn't mean it's a good thing to do. ;)

Chameleons are not supposed to eat meat. As insectivores they cannot handle a lot of animal protein in their diets - it can cause kidney damage and gout. Youtube is not the best example of good advice in any category. Just because I can do something stupid and get people to watch it doesn't mean it's a good thing to do. ;)

what about as a treat here and there?
all my other pets eat smaller "pets" i was hoping i could just feed them all the same thing, save space.
got 6 res turtles, 1 cat, 1 bearded dragon, 1 lame water frog, 2 tree frogs, newts, salamanders, crickets, beadles, mice, fish that turn into turtle food, 1 veiled.
2 res turtles, cat, veiled, and beardie are from store / breeders. the rest are rescue pets

Who's to say that in the wild that a chameleon does not catch a small lizard or rodent once in a while. I would think that they are opportunistic predators and will eat anything that moves in front of them. But they are primarily insectivores and should be treated as such. If you really want to feed it a rat, it's your call but if your chameleon gets sick, don't be whining on the forums that your cham is not doing well and you don't know why...

Who's to say that in the wild that a chameleon does not catch a small lizard or rodent once in a while. I would think that they are opportunistic predators and will eat anything that moves in front of them. But they are primarily insectivores and should be treated as such. If you really want to feed it a rat, it's your call but if your chameleon gets sick, don't be whining on the forums that your cham is not doing well and you don't know why...

Well said. Sure it may happen occasionally in the wild but it is not part of the regular diet so should not be given consistently. And as I've told you the risks associated with too much animal protein in the diet you should use that to make an educated opinion on it yourself.

Midnightwk - It doesn't sound like you have anything else that would be eating feeder mice except maybe your cats...and that's just weird...

Back
Top Bottom