Homemade wet cricket chow...thoughts?

Befulina

Hey all!

I just created my first cricket wet gutload.

I blended up some dandelion greens, bee pollen, zucchinis, carrots, and clementine orange slices. I did add some water to help things blend...but had I blended the zucchini first, that wouldn't have been necessary.

Anyway, it made a lot, so I keep it in the freezer, and thaw a small tupperware full each week to keep in the fridge, and dish out as necessary. They seem to eat it, so I guess it works?

Any thoughts/suggestions for future batches? Things to add or take out? I think I'd like to include some mustard greens and/or arugula next time too...

Thanks!

Sounds good, just make sure there are no fertilizers in any of the wild gathered stuffs. And make sure to wash really well, organic is best.

Gpmo (us)

Hey all!

I just created my first cricket wet gutload.

I blended up some dandelion greens, bee pollen, zucchinis, carrots, and clementine orange slices. I did add some water to help things blend...but had I blended the zucchini first, that wouldn't have been necessary.

Anyway, it made a lot, so I keep it in the freezer, and thaw a small tupperware full each week to keep in the fridge, and dish out as necessary. They seem to eat it, so I guess it works?

Any thoughts/suggestions for future batches? Things to add or take out? I think I'd like to include some mustard greens and/or arugula next time too...

Thanks!

Sounds great!

Collard greens, steamed sweet potato and apple could be added to this recipe.

Also cooked egg (one of my favorite gut load ingredients!)

Great idea to freeze it.

-Brad

Your wet gut load is about like mine. My batch, this is my first batch also, had sweet potato, zucchini, carrots, bee pollen, canlaope, bananas, collard greens, green beans, and a few others I don't remember. Anyway I made 9 ice cube trays full. My cricket have a least 2 cubes a day and my dubia eat about 4 cubes a day. I only have about 800 crickets left and I am not sure how many dubia I have. Next time I am making a bigger batch!! I am using half a ice cube tray each day. I made a holy mess of my kitchen.:eek:

Any way it sounds like you are doing great.

Thanks for the feedback!

I like the idea of using ice-cube trays...convenient! I hadn't even thought of that! (Although I make some frozen dog treats in ice-cube trays...puppy vs. crickets?)

I wish I were able to make it often enough to feed fresh...but the problem with using a lot of ingredients is that it makes a lot of food! Since I only have one cham right now, I don't keep more than 100 or so crickets around.

Next time around, I'll switch the zucchini for winter squash, and throw in some extra goodies...green beans, sweet potato and apple, and definitely some more of the suggested greens...I could try some papaya, but might just end up eating it all myself :)

Sandracham- Thanks for the fantastic link! Your blog is an incredible source of information...I look forward to reading more.

I use gerber first foods bannana and pea they come in lil glad containers you mix in the dry till it doesnt slide then set it on its side and its gone really fast esp with a fresh box of crix...i also use kashi granola cereal the mixed berry one its funny to watch the crix fight over it....i also started useing someone elses find as far as the soil moist water crystals....love it i also added it to my plants to keep them watered...the crix dont eat the crystal they just drink from it and you can re mist them as long as they arent dirty!!!!!

hmm

i can understand healthy chams but wowww... you guys do a great job dont get me wrong, its just that i am glad that my veiled chams 1.1.13 do great with crickets and super worms dusted twice a week. its truly awesome that you give them the attention that they need

without the proper gutloads mentioned your cham will most likely develop some sort of problem...we dont eat starved cows and we dont cook empty eggs .....see the point....if you dont feed your crix your chams are actually starving

I worry over everything for my chameleons but I never have to worry about them starving. I worry more that I over feed sometimes! I have very "well fed" looking chameleons.:eek:

Thanks for mentioning the cooked egg Brad. Thats something ive started adding to my crix after i got my dubias. Ive noticed that the dubias who i thought would need the extra protein to produce actually eat the greens more than the egg. lol My crix love the egg. Go figure. Now im catering not only to lizards but to bugs too. :D

Ive been advised that too much egg is actually not a good thing. Animal protein and fats, and preformed vitamin A, in the feeder diet, in quantity, can lead to gout and toxitcity in the chameleons.

Chill i add very little. Im talking a piece of scrambled the size of a quarter. And i only do that 2 days a week. Any one food item is bad to guload with. I utilize as many food items as possible.

I do try for a good gut load. I am sure fresh every day would be better, but between the wet gut load I make and the dry gutload I buy from Steve I feel my dubias and crickets are being well fed. I know they eat the wet gutload like crazy. They have always liked the dry gutload and I feel if they have access to both 24/7 they will provide healthy food for my chameleons and beardies.

Sandrameleon, do you think I am way off the mark?

Back
Top Bottom