Ho-Ho-Hornworms (Macro)

VerteX

Avid Member
I picked up a few HWs this last reptile show. Wanted to get some macro photos of the unique creatures. This pictured one was 9.9 grams. The size of them compared to silkies are astounding. Almost a small pet!
I betcha you didn't know they were this hairy. :eek:

The Magnifications are 1:1 and 2:1 labeled accordingly.

Anyhoo, here they are... Enjoy...

Headshot - Bite Mode offline
IMG_1587.jpg

Remember "Alien"? - Bite Mode activated
IMG_1689.jpg

The Body [1:1]
IMG_1563.jpg

The Body [2:1]
IMG_1618.jpg

The Horn [1:1]
IMG_1558.jpg

The Horn [2:1]
IMG_1652.jpg

Mugshot:
IMG_1685.jpg

R.I.P. Hornworm - Calcifer ate him. Calcifer even struggled a bit due to the size of the worm.

Can, you should let a few pupate if you want to get some good photos of the large Carolina sphinx moth. They are rather pretty and chams love them (for dinner).

wow how crazy are those shots?!?! Thanks for sharing. I really need to start thinking about investing in a good camera! I love my camera but I could never do anything like that with mine! lol!

Horn worms really are a beautiful bugs. Thanks for sharing, awesome photos.

ACK Beautiful?? I have spent many summers searching my tomato plants for these worms and removing them. They can decimate a tomato plant of it's leaves almost overnight! As a youngin about 6, my grandmother would hand me a pair of old shears and send me out to the garden to cut them in half. They made a noise and wiggled and dripped green goo. :eek: I have been struggling with buying my chams some for food since I have probably disposed of enough to feed my animals for years. LOL

Jesus Can! Very nice!

Your HW cup is definitely the type we were taking about. The blue are very cool. I might try to get some of that chow next time!

Kenya; I'm thinking about giving a shot to breeding these guys. I'll have to get the supplies but after getting a grasp of silkworm breeding, I don't think these guys will be hard. Time will show.

Kev; do you really mean "Jesus Can!"? I may take it at face value since my birthday is Christmas Day. (Yeah, I know.)

BocaJan; I do agree that they can be pretty bad "pests" if you are trying to have tomatoes from the yard. Maybe a few thousand mantis would would keep them in check for you.

Everybody; Thank you very much. I hope to make a moth post as well if hornworms cooperate.

Kev; do you really mean "Jesus Can!"? I may take it at face value since my birthday is Christmas Day. (Yeah, I know.).[/QUOTE]

you and me both...............................................................................................↑

Kenya; I'm thinking about giving a shot to breeding these guys. I'll have to get the supplies but after getting a grasp of silkworm breeding, I don't think these guys will be hard. Time will show.

Kev; do you really mean "Jesus Can!"? I may take it at face value since my birthday is Christmas Day. (Yeah, I know.)

BocaJan; I do agree that they can be pretty bad "pests" if you are trying to have tomatoes from the yard. Maybe a few thousand mantis would would keep them in check for you.

Everybody; Thank you very much. I hope to make a moth post as well if hornworms cooperate.

haha Can!

Breeding these guys is pretty easy. Just let some go through the moth stage and let them mate in a box or fine netting cage with a plant inside. They will lay the eggs, you collect, keep warm and the cycle starts again.

Back
Top Bottom