Hi, New and looking for a Chameleon...

chako257

Hello to all!

I am a new site member and forgive me for posting here, but it appears that I am not able to post in the 'Wanted' section. :eek:

I am an experienced Cham keeper and am looking to get a new baby for my oldest son. He is young, but not your typical child and is fantastic at keeping pets. We (the parents) always oversee the care and have never had a worry with him yet. :D It is difficult to convey level of expertise in a few short paragraphs when you are new to a site, but I assure you that I have spent over 20 years looking after exotics and am totally in love with them and am thrilled that my son(s) share the same interest in animals. We have the proper equipment and literally dote on our more exotic family members. ;)

Our track record includes having many rescue animals over the years and one male veil gave our son the 'bug' for chameleons. He was an absolutely HUGE chameleon and lived for just a few weeks shy of 12 years - even our vet was astounded. The next pet was chosen to be yet another male veil and this time around 'George' stayed more on the small side and died at the ripe old age of 3. Nothing showed up as a potential problem, nothing showed up with the veterinary care so it was a stunner to find the little dude looking perfectly healthy one morning, except for the fact he was dead.

That was about 6 months ago and our son has investigated what he wants to keep and again it has turned to chameleons (big surprise!). He is thinking of branching out into something other than a veil, but really it all comes down to whether or not the cham is a baby that he can handle and gain a bond with.

So, my question is where to find a lovely baby? I have started doing searches and am hoping to find something in the Ottawa, Ontario area or someone who would ship to this area. There are so many to drool over out there, but I want to be cautious as I would not have the benefit of seeing the animal before purchase and deciding if it meets 'healthy' and am wondering if members here could give me a heads up on where they would suggest to go for a reputable breeder.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello and welcome!
There are several of the forum sponsors (the banners on the top right) that are based in Canada. All of them are excellent and their offspring can be found in photo albums all over the site. They produce really beautiful panther chameleons in particular (but that's what I pay attention to the most, I'm sure at least one breeds veileds as well).

You may want to look at the site sponsors, they have a pretty good track record and Chameleon Nation is located in Canada

On the main page of the forum you can see all of the sites sponsors listed at the bottom. I would suggest checking out each one until you find a cham you like/want. As far as I know all of the sites sponsors are top-notch and trustworthy, so you'd be safe to go with one of them, so I would recommend starting there. Try calling them too as most of these breeders are a wealth of information. Then it just comes down to picking out the perfect cham for your son. Good luck and I hope you guys find a sweet cham!

Agreed, there are a few good breeders in Ontario (as well as the rest of the country.) Two that come to mind are Chromachameleons and ChameleonNation (both are also site sponsors).

Thanks, Olimpia!

I have been cruising around looking to see who is in Canada and it is a bit tough. I shall slog through, though. So many are absolutely gorgeous!

It does not have to be a veil - he has shown interest other types and he is ready to manage them. I have had practically all chameleons at one time or another, so I started him off with veil and due to how attentive he is I know he will do well with other 'high needs' chams, too.

The main thing for him is to get one young enough to begin to handle/bond with. Both of the male veils we had were so well handled they would literally go everywhere with him. I have warned him that it could be the next one will not be as handleable and to expect the more typical male 'grouchiness.' I do know it has to be a male and what type is really open.

Wow. I must be super slow at typing! Thanks for all the replies - it is one great forum to have so many responses so fast!

I have been checking out chromachameleons, etc. and drooling big time. I was aware of them and will likely try giving them a call this coming week. Just trying to figure out the whole shipping thing....

Back
Top Bottom