Hermaphodites aka He/She's

ToniandGizmo

I was just wondering if anyone has any pictures of these guys... I mean girls... I mean guy/girls :p

There's not much information about them. I believe Dodolah mentioned something about them in a post - (Dodolah, my apologies in advance if it was not from you).

Anyway, I know what they are but I don't think I've ever seen any pictures of one. Do they look mostly male with female characteristics? Mostly female with some male characteristics?

Wow, now I think I'm more confused than they are. :confused:

Looks like its time for an update Dodolah!!!!!:) This fascinates me also. I think Socalison had or has a veiled that was sorta "undetermined":eek:.

There have been cases of females with tarsal spurs but the casque was of normal size for a female.

Wow she must have looked neat. Did this female develop eggs as would a normal female?

She was about 6 months old when we got her, and had just started producing eggs. The only colours we had from her were grens and some purpley blue colours. She was very ill when we got her and died of Gout. We paid for a necropsy and they said her kidneys were so swollen, she physically would have not been able to lay them. Just found out that they were so severe (and a good example of what Gout can do) she took some pictures. I might have to ask for a copy of them, think they would be interesting.

She was about 6 months old when we got her, and had just started producing eggs. The only colours we had from her were grens and some purpley blue colours. She was very ill when we got her and died of Gout. We paid for a necropsy and they said her kidneys were so swollen, she physically would have not been able to lay them. Just found out that they were so severe (and a good example of what Gout can do) she took some pictures. I might have to ask for a copy of them, think they would be interesting.

I'm so sorry to hear that Emma :( It would be interesting (and informative) to view her pictures.

Soooo so far it seems that most of the hermaphodites were veileds. I know that this morphing occurs across the entire spectrum. Would really like to hear more.

I'm so sorry to hear that Emma :( It would be interesting (and informative) to view her pictures.

Soooo so far it seems that most of the hermaphodites were veileds. I know that this morphing occurs across the entire spectrum. Would really like to hear more.

My vet seems to think it is due to the temperatures the eggs are incubated at, but i know not many people on here subscribe to that theory. Another thing Charlotte (the vet) said is its often seen in animals where there are large numbers of young, such as reptiles and rats (we have a hermaphrodite rat as well) due to the large numbers born at any one time, you are more likely to see animals with differences.

I will update mine as soon as i got a chance.
These days i am incredibly busy with projects and grad school.

My questionable chameleon is an Ambanja panther from a reputable breeder.
His form and coloration were as bright as that of a male with a little hint of hemipenis (In certain poses, the bulge completely disappear).
He was 6 months old at the time I post until Jim Flaherty brought up the possibility that I might have a he/she.

During resting mode, he would alternate between blue and pink sometimes the bottom half of him is actually brown and pink coloration while the upper part is blue and turquoise.

Incredibly pissy and up EVEN till now (this end of the month, he'll be around 8.5 months), he still not display any sexual behavior.
No sperm plugs, does not care to display when he sees other female nor male, no nothing.
Unlike my ambilobe that already expelling sperms when he was 6 months old.
Now the ambilobe is 7 months, and he has a bigger gun :eek: than my ambanja.

BUT, I am leaning toward the possibility of a slow developing male instead.
His hemipenis grows significantly larger now.
Though, it still be considered 'small' compared to male his age.
I guess, we will know pretty soon. I will be glad if he start expelling his sperm and pacing around the cage looking for females (like my veiled and my ambilobe now).

I wish there is some kind of supplements that can boost his male prowess :p
I wonder if Reptaid can do that as well :D :D just kidding, Gesang.
Picture coming as soon as I have time to take one.

To be continued :D :D

i have talked to Jim at The Chameleon Company, and we are both pretty sure that my cham Sherman is a "shemale." it was sold to me as a male sired by Kneecap at a reptile expo and i figured he was just a late bloomer, but after looking at him/her now, Jim said there was a good possibility of being a "shemale." I am new here to the forums and im not really sure how to post pictures, so if anyone could help me with that ill get them up as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Justin

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the post!! What I do is post pics from a photobucket.com account. Go there make, an account, upload pics, slide the mouse over the desired pic but do not click it, it "pop out" along with some things to copy, copy the IMG code and paste it in your post:)

sorry it took so long to get these up, ive been busy dealing with lawyers from a recent car accident...these are pictures of my 9 month old Nosy Be Shemale, Sherman...its kind of funny that i named him/her She-R-Man, i guess you could say shes a Shermaphrodite...i hope these pics work

Attachments

• Sherman 2.jpg
    Sherman 2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Sherman 6.jpg
    Sherman 6.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Sherman 1.jpg
    Sherman 1.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Sherman 4.jpg
    Sherman 4.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Sherman 5.jpg
    Sherman 5.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 86
sorry for everything being sideways...there is one more picture that it wont upload, but ill try to get it up later on...hope these pictures help, let me know what you guys think

Sherman

Thats an interesting nosy be. I'd say you both are right calling it a female, its a gorgeous female though. I wish some of my girls had those genes. Wo knows maybe someday due to selective breeding we'll actually have mildly colorful females. I know somebody had a thread on the forum of an insanely colored nosy mistio female. Also ive see an almost completely orange female similar to the one in bill love's book. But i like the idea of a blue female. Nice cham.

Justin

EDIT: that's also a biggg nine nonth old female. Growth hormones much? I wish my girls were that big at 9 months.

yeah she is a big one...Jim from TCC said thats one of the characteristics of a "she-male"...larger size and slight male coloration, but apparently they wont breed

thank you, she is a looker...hopefully she will get more coloration because i was told she was a male when i bought her 6 months ago

well, i still cant get the other picturee to upload...but if anyone else out there has pictures of a "She-male" you should upload them

this post has made me wonder about my guy as well. I know it sounds like one of those times when you hear about some crazy off the wall sickness and you start feeling like you have ALL the symptoms and go right to the Dr. But Ive been thinking about this for sometime now and didnt know it was possible. Ive had my veiled since late July and he has a prominent casque, but it doesn't seem to be as large as others of his age, tarsil spurs, and his hemipinal bulge doesn't seem to be very large. but lately it seems like hes been digging around in the bottom corner of his cage(theres no dirt in the bottom) but he seems to be digging anyway. he doesn't look like he has the girth to be gravid. any thoughts?

Ive included a few pics.
full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom