Helping a friend

booshified

This is an email i got from my friend... he got this particular cham from lllreptile about 2 months ago. tell me what u think. i am gonna try and swing by his place and take some pictures.

Hey
Gustavo (my male) is not doing to well. Sunday I saw
him messing with his eye, it was swollen and out of
its socket. When he saw me he put it back to normal.
He seems to always have is eyes closed. I havent
observed him eating very much or drinking. He seems
very week. The problem is that I'm never home to
watch him.I'm at school 12 hours a day 5 days a week.
Can do some research on the forum to see how to rehab
him? I'm thinkning he might be just dehydrated.
What do you think? I feel bad because I don't have
time to throughly take care of him.

i'm in the process of getting a new phone by the
way...

the last part is whats hard cause his cell phone is a piece of crap.

well the eye thing could of just been when they clean their eyes out by bulging it out and it looks all weird and deformed, which is a normal thing they do from time to time.

As for all the other problems... sounds like vet time, but judging by the email, he doesn't have much time to spare so that might be difficult.

I think its vet time also. If he has a problem with his eye it will also effect his eating cuz it makes it harder to hunt if he can't see well. On the other hand I also got my cham from lllreptile and he also had an eye issue that went away eventually with loads of misting (took maybe a month total). Sounds like the same problem exactly actually, if you read my posts. He wouldn't eat very well, kept 1 or both eyes closed from time to time during the day, and seemed kinda lethargic. It's been 4 months now (or around there) and he is doing very well, however his girlfriend that I bought at the same time and who had no problems at all passed away. But I had plenty of time to watch after him while he had his eye problems so I vote for taking your friends cham to the vet. It will actually save time in the long run I think.

This is an email i got from my friend... he got this particular cham from lllreptile about 2 months ago. tell me what u think. i am gonna try and swing by his place and take some pictures.

Hey
Gustavo (my male) is not doing to well. Sunday I saw
him messing with his eye, it was swollen and out of
its socket. When he saw me he put it back to normal.
He seems to always have is eyes closed. I havent
observed him eating very much or drinking. He seems
very week. The problem is that I'm never home to
watch him.I'm at school 12 hours a day 5 days a week.
Can do some research on the forum to see how to rehab
him? I'm thinkning he might be just dehydrated.
What do you think? I feel bad because I don't have
time to throughly take care of him.

i'm in the process of getting a new phone by the
way...

the last part is whats hard cause his cell phone is a piece of crap.

ok you need to post a pic before anything...we cant tell a chameleons health from words.

I would definitely say to take him to a vet. Chameleons go downhill so quickly once something's wrong with them that unless you're insanely experienced (and even then, at times) you shouldn't try "fixing it yourself".

Cellphone on the other hand... I used to work for AT&T, so if he needs some troubleshooting done, let me know :D

Just want to comment that if your friend doesn't have time for the chameleon, it would be best for him/her to rehome it. Not fair for the cham to not be getting proper care.. your friend can get another cham later on when he/she has more time.

Heika

I agree with Heika.

What I'm reading between the lines is that your friend neither has the finances or the time to be dealing with a chameleon right now.

Being limited in time or being limited in finances can be dealt with but not both. At the very least, his cham is dehydrated and would need multiple mistings a day and some showering to get him back to hydrated. This might be accomplished with a automatic mister if he could afford it, but my guess is this is out of the question.

He needs to bring the cham to a vet to asses if there is more than dehydration at this point. Otherwise he will have a dead cham on his hands very soon.

As I'm sure you know, chams are the most time intensive of all the reptiles. If he doesn't have the time (school, work,...) it is time to give it up to someone who does.

I know this is harsh, but the truth...

Good luck,
Matthew

It doesn't make sense that you would buy a chameleon if you are not around to observe and give him the proper care he needs.This is not a snake.
It didn't help that you most likely bought a wild caught chameleon and was already compromised by the time it ended up in your clueless hands.
Sorry if this sounds harsh but do some research before you buy anything else.
Talk to people who breed chameleons and get him to a vet if you haven't done so.

the harasser is telling someone else to settle down.

the chameleon was bought from lllreptile.com at a show(draw your own conclusions). the person knows a lot about the subject and had plenty of time. his final year of college (engineering) is proving to be more then he had thought.

i posted this problem on this forum to receive help. you obviously don't know the whole situation so please don't jump to conclusions.

I know the situation all to well.
The person buys a wild caught chameleon and it is dead in 2 months.
To further aid in the chameleons demise is someone who is gone 12 hours a day and should have never bought the chameleon in the first place.
My concern is always for the chameleon and not if I hurt someones feelings.

Chuck your getting all reved up at someone who isn't even reading the posts... Were here to try and help be it a dead end street kind of battle sometimes but thats what we're here for...

...and btw the animal is a sub-adult, cb veiled and the owner is doing the right thing trying to pass him along to someone with more time to work with him.

the harasser is telling someone else to settle down.

the chameleon was bought from lllreptile.com at a show(draw your own conclusions). the person knows a lot about the subject and had plenty of time. his final year of college (engineering) is proving to be more then he had thought.

Hey, I don't want any part of an argument. Just wanted to make a comment that 2-months is plenty of time to rehab a chameleon or kill it. You can buy a perfectly healthy one and it can go downhill from neglect in 2 months. You can buy one at deaths door, and "bring it back", though I don't advise it. Sounds like a husbandry issue.

I remember my Senior yer in engineering school, and I can tell you...there is little time for a chameleon. It isn't the study time...its the ridiculous homework assignments. Maybe if you didn't have a job, and had nothing to do but school, but that is no longer the norm these days.

Take the cham off his hands for a while until he graduates.

Steve

i am picking him up tomorrow. i dont have much experience with this but I do have the time.

i will be taking pictures and looking for advice when i get him.

Back
Top Bottom