help

dc2ap2

has any one herd of this as far as a ant killer? its called diatomaceous earth and they say its safe for us to eat? anyone have any input????

I've heard of using diatomacious earth to REPEL ants, not sure if it would kill them. The idea is that the particle size and structure irritates the ants when they try to walk through it. I don't think it is toxic in itself.

Im pretty sure that will work great if im not mistaken it is very absorbant and it absorbs something off the bugs exoskeleton and they die of dehydration. For that reason i would use it with a chameleon if thats what you were planning on doing. It could cause some dehydration problems in your chameleon if ingested. If you want to get rid of ant i would just take it out and wash it really good and replant your plant. If that doesnt work get a new plant.

It works by being sharp edged. It cuts the bugs exoskeleton causing dehydration and death. It can be dangerous if not handled correctly. Be careful not to breath it in as it can cut your lungs, mouth, eyes,etc. I wouldn't be comfortable putting it in with my cham....what if he ingests some on a food item? It could get ugly.....just take the ants out and place the legs in cups of water...it will keep them out of where ever you don't want them.

Diatoms are what make up diatomaceous earth and they are tiny bacteria that secrete a glass "skeleton". they use the "skeletons" from dead diatoms because, as Pet Lady said the sharp skeletons will cut the exoskeleton of spiders, ants, etc. and can damage the bodies of snails/slugs. I wouldn't recommend using it too close to your chameleon, but the water trick works well, that is what I do.

Back
Top Bottom