Help with surprise pygmy eggs!

Lingling

I went to feed and mist today and noticed 3 little eggs in my pygmy viv. I spotted them so quickly because she never dug, and laid them right on top of the dirt. Is this normal? Should I be worried about her at all? She either laid them today or yesterday, I'm not quite sure.

Two of the eggs are a little sunken, so I'm assuming they dried out and won't hatch. Right? I don't want to throw them out if they're okay, but I doubt it.
The third egg is not sunken like the other two, so I put it into a little tub of vermiculite. I've never done this before... I hope it's fertile and developing, but I'm worried about it since she didn't burry them.

Is there a chance that the healthier looking egg is alright? Is there any way I could tell?

Can't tell you if they'll hatch or not but I would incubate them all just in case! You can always throw them out later. Good luck! Love baby brevs :D

Thanks ferret, I certainly will hang on to them for now. I've read on the forum here than brev eggs don't necessarily need to be kept in an incubator, but can be left in a temp-stable closet or something. Is that correct? I don't have an incubator. Is there anything I need to do with the eggs? Misting or whatnot?

Incubation temps should be no lower than 64F or higher than 77F. Staying more in the 75 degree range had a much quicker incubation time (40-50 days) than staying at lower temps like 65 (90+ days). From Necas' book. So it's not really that they don't need an incubator of sorts, it's just that they need cooler temps for incubation so there's no need to get something to keep them warmer! I'd measure a few cabinets/closets to find somewhere in the right range that stays consistent.

I used a little tupperware with moist vermiculite and it worked great! Wet the vermiculite so that if you pick up a chunk and squeeze it only a drop or two of water comes out. Keep the container airtight so the water doesn't evaporate. This is what more experienced people told me about their incubation techniques and it worked well for me. I punched a hole in the top just big enough for a thermometer/hygrometer probe to fit so I could monitor the inside without having to open it. This thread has a pic of the "incubator" setup and what temps mine were at.

Back
Top Bottom