Help Please!!!!!

Sage

My veield cham was just sitting there with his mouth open. He is in an 40 gallon aqurium and was planing on getting a 24x24x48 screen cage soon.He is 4 1/2 moths old and 12 inches long. He seems very healthy.

It sounds like he is over heating and trying to cool down. Was he doing this while under a basking light? If so, thats fairly normal. If not, his enclosure is too warm and not getting proper ventilation.

Just my 2 cents...

that might be a tad on the warm side for ambient temp. try lowering it to 75 in the cage and about 90-95 in the basking spot.

You can cool him down by misting him.
85 is pretty hot in a glass enclosure with no ventilation.
Make sure he's not making any crackling noises when breathing and that the inside of his mouth looks good (no sticky mucus)

-Brad

My veield cham was just sitting there with his mouth open. He is in an 40 gallon aqurium and was planing on getting a 24x24x48 screen cage soon.He is 4 1/2 moths old and 12 inches long. He seems very healthy.

He should have been in a screen cage about 2 months ago

It sounds like he is over heating and trying to cool down. Was he doing this while under a basking light? If so, thats fairly normal. If not, his enclosure is too warm and not getting proper ventilation.

Just my 2 cents...

Just to be clear: It IS normal for a male Veiled to sit under the basking light with his mouth open? My 6+ month old male Veiled just started doing this about a week ago and nothing else has changed with setup etc.
He has plenty of branches to move around in his cage (all screen) so I do not understand why he would stay there (hottest spot in cage) if he was overheating.

???

Thanks

Jim

Back
Top Bottom