Hatchlings arent looking too good..

Ren

One at a time my hatchlings seem to be getting worse and then dying, Ive only lost 2 males, so far but a female isnt looking too good and a few are now closing their eyes... They are housed in ten gallon aquariums and are only getting uvb lighting and enclosure stays around 70-75 degrees, and misted 2 3 times a day.... some are eating fruit flys others dont seem interested in eating at all..... I dont want to loose any more and I feel terrible... Does this often happen or what?

Howdy Ren,

A quickie note: For babies, I used a 50W flood to create 80-85F temps which is a bit warmer than you are currently using. The added light spectrum from a 50W flood will have additional benefits beyond just keping them warm. I'm sure that some of the keepers with more baby experience can better comment on your 70-75F temps. I've only worked with 3 clutches - Veileds, Panthers, and Jackson's but none of them died. From day-one, I also gave them the same 15 minute automated mistings that my big guys get. Although it seems that babies do well in an open-top aquarium tank for the early weeks, I opted to go with small screen enclosures, typically housing less than 10ea. for the first month or two and breaking them up into smaller groups as soon as I could.

ok, I can easily get the temps up to 80-85 i was afraid to do so..... I will try that and see where it goes, I put some flies in there and a lot of them are more active and eating well at the time being, i still have some with eyes closed and don't really know why... I will try a couple of small 15 watt bulbs and see how warm it gets in there for them.... thanks Dave.

After changing the temps teh healthy ones are eating and drinking more and seam to be doing great, however i still have quite a few that still wont open their eyes and are slowly starting to pass away, this is very sad.... I dont know what to do.....they get sprayed down 4 to 5 times a day and feed fruit flys and gnats, and the ones that eat are very vigorous eaters and the others just arent....what the heck should i do?

Hey Ren, about the temps Dave is right, mine did better with them around 80-85F. I lost 2 of my babies, even after they were separated they still did bad but don't loose hope just think positive it's mother nature. Best of luck.

separated the eyes opened , from eyes closed, going to spend a bit of time on them tomorrow treating the eyes with terramycin and see where that goes... fingers crossed.

Howdy Ren,

Before it gets too hot tomorrow, how about trying some full, natural sunshine out in the backyard? I'd stick them in a screen enclosure for that sunshine dose.

Ren,
With a large group like you have,some just won't make it.
I wouldn't stress babies out by applying terramyacin. I don't think this is indicative of an infection but just babies that may not be strong enough to make it. I agree with getting the heat up a little but careful of dehydration.
Also I agree witha little natural sunshine just remember ants love cham babies.
Good luck with the babies and don't beat yourself up. I am sure you are taking good care of them,sometimes its out of your hands.

I totally agree with Chuck. That is a large clutch.. Good ol' morning sunshine might help. I wonder if it's possible for chams to actually nourish each & every one of those eggs with a big clutch like that..

Sorry I responded to the other thread right when I saw this one. I hope most of them make it thru

Don't lose hope though.. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom