has anyone ever seen this?!?!

JohnnyMurderus

hey all my new veiled female just shed for her second time today and as i was watching her she started to shoot at the skin on the leaves under her. Ive had a couple other veileds in my time and Ive never seen them shoot there sheded skin? anyone else ever seen this?

alot of different lizards eat the shed they leave, ive heard stories about how is good for them, but im not sure..my lil one just shed today and i caught him eating some so i took the rest away..

hey all my new veiled female just shed for her second time today and as i was watching her she started to shoot at the skin on the leaves under her. Ive had a couple other veileds in my time and Ive never seen them shoot there sheded skin? anyone else ever seen this?
Yeah my veiled cham does the same thing. THey often eat their shed for extra nutrients.

~~1.0 Veiled Chameleon

My female just ate her shed, very neatly too, I didnt find so much as hint, which leads to suspect that maybe they do this, not so much to gain any nutritional value but to minimise signs of its presence to potential predators. Such as in the way some geckos dig a separate toilet tunnel, far from their own, and only defecate there, this selective behaviour is seen in captivity where they select a toilet area and seem to defecate there exclusively.
Just a guess from an evolutionary perspective. *shrugs* :)

Mine will shoot and clear his shed from plants, substrate too. It is natural for them to do so. Had Anolis and they will actually pull skin off and eat it as they are doing it.

Most lizard species will do this, in nature it helps hide the evidence that they are in the area. I have seen 3 of my 6 chameleons do this (have only had the other 3 like 2 weeks).

Back
Top Bottom