Hank my new veiled

ktravelet

Well this is my first chameleon and I went with Hank, a veiled. I attached what he looks like, and his cage set-up. I use a day heat lamp, and a repti-sun 5.0 uvb bulb. At night I use a red heat lamp as well. the bottom of his cage is 70 degrees, and his basking spot is anywhere from 85-95. I have a fake vine, and a pothos.

I feed him 1/8'' crickets twice a day, as many as he can eat.

My questions are do I only leave the uvb light during the day? How many crickets should I put the calcium with D3 powder on. He doesnt really like the crickets with the powder either, how do you guys get them to eat them. Lastly, how soon should I start feeding him "treats".

Thanks in advanced.

sorry for the pics, they are from my phone. I just came back from graduating college and cant find it yet.

Attachments

• Hank.jpg
    Hank.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Hank2.jpg
    Hank2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Cage.jpg
    Cage.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 133
I'll just preface by saying, I don't currently own a chameleon, but I'm studying their husbandry now so I'll be ready when I get one this summer. So, if I'm wrong here anywhere, someone please correct me, I'm a chameleon newbie as well. However, I believe I can help you out with a couple of your questions.

One of the most important things I've read on this site is that you're not supposed to give your chameleon calcium with D3 very often. Some people say one a week, some say twice a month, or I've even seen once a month. Problem with D3 is that it will keep your cham. from absorbing vitamin A which is bad. The majority of the time you'll want to lightly dust your crickets in calcium powder without D3. Hank may not like it much, but try dusting very lightly & I bet he'll get used to it if he wants to eat. :)

As far as the light goes, you only need UVB during the day for 12 hours or so. Turn it off at night. People also say don't bother with a night/moon/red light during the night as it can disturb their sleep habits. It's ok if your cage gets into the 60s at night.

Also, everyone says the compact florescent UVB bulbs can be bad for the chams eyes, so you may want to get a linear (long/skinny) bulb & fixture.

Good luck!

BTW, here's some good links to basic husbandry stickies on this site:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/basic-husbandry-38769/

Hank's a little cutie!!!! Your basking spot is way too hot....you are going to cook him. Keep him at 80. You probably want need a basking light at all until he's older. Keep the UVB bulb on all day....for 10 to 12 hours. What other types of supplements are you using? Only use D3 twice a month. Plain calcium without d3 at just about every feeding and a multi vit. such as Rec-Cal Herptivite once or twice a month. What are you gutloading your feeders with?

Questions Answered

Questions in RED
Answers in GREEN

Well this is my first chameleon and I went with Hank, a veiled. I attached what he looks like, and his cage set-up. I use a day heat lamp, and a repti-sun 5.0 uvb bulb. At night I use a red heat lamp as well. They do not need nightime heating unless your conditions drop to below 60F.

I leave my bulbs on 12:00 hours on, 12 hours off..
the bottom of his cage is 70 degrees, and his basking spot is anywhere from 85-95.
This is too hot, Jannb as mentioned.

. I have a fake vine, and a pothos.
I feed him 1/8'' crickets twice a day, As many as he can eat.

You can overfeed, so be cautious.

My questions are do I only leave the uvb light during the day?Yes How many crickets should I put the calcium with D3 powder on.

Just feed him 1-3 crickets dusted once a week..

The crickets should be lightly dusted, not caked. If you blow on them and powder comes off, they are too heavily dusted., how do you guys get them to eat them? Lastly, how soon should I start feeding him "treats".

What do you mean as treats? Enrichment feeders?
Hope that helps!

By treats I mean something different then crickets such as worms etc. If his basking spot is too hot will he stay there and cook, or will he move? I only buy 30 feeders at a time so I dont have to worry about them. I just put them in a Tupperware container with holes in the lid along with some carrots and lettuce.

Is it confirmed that the cf uvb bulbs hurt their eyes? I just bought the bulb and another lamp today which is non returnable, so i'd prefer to use that if possible.

thanks

By treats I mean something different then crickets such as worms etc. If his basking spot is too hot will he stay there and cook, or will he move? I only buy 30 feeders at a time so I dont have to worry about them. I just put them in a Tupperware container with holes in the lid along with some carrots and lettuce.

Is it confirmed that the cf uvb bulbs hurt their eyes? I just bought the bulb and another lamp today which is non returnable, so i'd prefer to use that if possible.

thanks

CF UVB bulbs are highly discouraged on this forum. The linear tube UVB bulbs are recommended.

Treats, such as silkworms,hornworms,phoniex worms,dubia,etc. can be offered when he can get them down. (feeder size smaller than space between eyes, they can be a bit bigger if they are worms)
Some worms such as mealworms have chitin in them which can cause impaction. Their hard exoskeletons are the best aswell.
Butterworms and waxworms are just little balls of fat, so are discouraged.

It is true the chameleons thermo-regulate by moving from hot to cold, but young chameleons aren't the best at that. They can just sit their with their mouth gaped and burn.

Alrights thanks guys. I'm gunna have to hold off on the tube UVB light for a little as im jobless till Jan. Other then that It seems like I'm good. I'll limit the cf bulb time, and put him outside when it finally decides to stop raining.

Actually that brings up another topic. Have you guys ever sat your cham out in the rain if its warm enough. Also what would you consider warm enough if at all?

Alrights thanks guys. I'm gunna have to hold off on the tube UVB light for a little as im jobless till Jan. Other then that It seems like I'm good. I'll limit the cf bulb time, and put him outside when it finally decides to stop raining.

Actually that brings up another topic. Have you guys ever sat your cham out in the rain if its warm enough. Also what would you consider warm enough if at all?

i dont see how the rain would be bad if hes not directly IN the rain, if the temps are alright it would be nice to have the high humidity. As for what decent temperatures would be for outdoors, basically same conditions as the indoor enclosure, definitely not above the mid 80s for one as young as yours. You might wanna put some more plants in the cage, just for more more hiding spots to make him more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom