Hand Feeding -- I'm smitten!

TyggyToo

I just had SUCH an oxytocin surge its scary.

Shayna took a Phoenix worm out of my hand...then another and another...I held a cup for her and she ate a Dubia. Having her little tongue just reach out and whack that worm in my hand was sooo sweet!

This chameleon has gotten me seriously parental. She pushed her body up into the mist that I was forcing on her the other day and DRANK...none of that namby pamby licking the lips...she DRANK. (please note that she was not dehydrated any more than a normal late morning tending would leave her...and had a dripper going too). I felt like I was raining manna from heaven for her.

Of course the bad side of her getting better from her ataxia and such (weird presentation of MBD is what my vet suggested) is that I promised her that when she stopped grabbing her own legs and falling, I would stop handling her. For three days now she's held up her end of the bargain, and I've had to keep my dirty mammalian hands off her.

So are Phoenix Worms a treat, or a staple? Do I NOT dust them at all? I'm perfectly happy with offering all three (crickets, dubs, phoenix) in whatever mixture is suggested.

And should I pursue keeping her handled, or keep my dirty mammalian hands to myself?

Submitted for your approval,
Tyg

Mine all hand fed straight away but it is brilliant fun isn't it? :) Crickets, dubias and phoenix worms can all be fed pretty much as often as you want (variety is still most important, but all are usable as 'staples'). You don't need to dust or feed the phoenix worms but they do seem to really like butternut squash and I feel weird not feeding them so mine only get food and no dust.
Handling her depends really on how nervous or stressed she gets..........it's up to you to decide if she seems happy enough or if she is too nervous to handle much.
Mine are Veileds and both are ok with handling, but they definitely prefer me to keep my hands to myself, so I mostly do :) (they are probably secretly a bit glad that the summers over and my cameras broken because they get left alone more now.....)

dirty mammalian

I would stop handling her. For three days now she's held up her end of the bargain, and I've had to keep my dirty mammalian hands off her
bathtub

Back
Top Bottom