gutloading and bacteria

Besides my Panther, I also have Gouldian Finches. So I feed my crix alot of the same foods. With my birds I only keep their fresh food in their cage for a couple of hours because of bacteria.
Does this hold true in gutloading crix? If so is it passed thru to my Cham? Should I only leave my fruits/veggies in for a few hours but leave the cricket crack all nite. Or do they excrete any food bacteria and isn't a problem.
Thank you to all that answer :)

I think you'll be OK with the crickets.... I leave the food in till the veggies look kinda gross and then I remove them. And I leave cricket crack with the crickets till they eat it all.... which isn't very long with the new breed of crickets you can get from RainBow. Damn eating machines!

I think you'll be OK with the crickets.... I leave the food in till the veggies look kinda gross and then I remove them. And I leave cricket crack with the crickets till they eat it all.... which isn't very long with the new breed of crickets you can get from RainBow. Damn eating machines!

lol....the black crickets from hell

THEY ARE!! I still have a lot left from last months meeting and ZERO dead ones. I just feed and water.... and they just eat, drink and live! :eek:

i hear ya, mine lasted over a month , close to two months....they eat their dead buddies, and are rather "clean" and dont smell as bad as the brown ones....but i finally felt their bite...they surprised me, them nasty buggers

Besides my Panther, I also have Gouldian Finches. So I feed my crix alot of the same foods. With my birds I only keep their fresh food in their cage for a couple of hours because of bacteria.
Does this hold true in gutloading crix? If so is it passed thru to my Cham? Should I only leave my fruits/veggies in for a few hours but leave the cricket crack all nite. Or do they excrete any food bacteria and isn't a problem.
Thank you to all that answer :)

24 hours is how long I would leave uneaten fresh fruit/veg for crickets before removing. Same principle

I recently lost a chameleon that I had for over 3 yrs, during this time the cage lighting and misting system never changed. I am wondering if the crickets were what caused his demise???? I definantely will be more careful about preparing feeders for future chameleons, please share more what you guys think.

I prep and clean, buy organic fruits/veggies.
I clean crix cage every day, total new food and water twice a day. Scrub tank once a week with hot soapy water.

I recently lost a chameleon that I had for over 3 yrs, during this time the cage lighting and misting system never changed. I am wondering if the crickets were what caused his demise???? I definantely will be more careful about preparing feeders for future chameleons, please share more what you guys think.

If the lighting never changed, I assume the bulb itself did. After 4-8 months, most brands of UB bulbs stop producing adequate amounts of proper light and need to be swapped out.

I think you are shooting in the dark for the reason.

What were the symptoms before death?

It sounds like you didn't see any. In that case it could be almost anything- poison, heart attack, genetic defect, aliens, called home by God, etc.

Just like any other living animal (including people) some are going to live longer than others. 3 years is pretty good for most small/mid-size chameleon species in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom