Growing Grass

d3s5

Avid Member
Awhile ago there was a discussion about growing grass in the bottom of enclosures and how it should be done, etc. I decided to give it a try in my FR. It worked out well in the areas that I planted it. It definitely keeps the humidity up for a longer period of time, but I'm not sure I like the look.
d4578f41.jpg

5cc40128.jpg

689f9191.jpg

8eeaef07.jpg

5a76eaf4.jpg

Wow.

I have used grass on the tops of potted plants.

I am interested in this "grass mat" you have though.

What the heck? lol

Could you explain that? :eek:

Have any full shots of the setup?

Wow.

I have used grass on the tops of potted plants.

I am interested in this "grass mat" you have though.

What the heck? lol

Could you explain that? :eek:

Have any full shots of the setup?

The "grass mat" is that stuff that they use for plants instead of a pot. You know? You put it inside a hanger thing and all the extra water just drains through? You can get it at HD, Lowe's, WalMart. . . I just bought big rounded ones and cut them to lay flat.

I only planted it where the mister would hit it, so it's mostly in the back!
c7eb79c7.jpg

Ok, I understand.

Do you just put the seed straight on it, and thats it?

I like the look myself! I think you should cover the whole thing in it. :)

Thanks for the idea, I think Ill line the bottoms of enclosures with these mats. :)

Ok, I understand.

Do you just put the seed straight on it, and thats it?

I like the look myself! I think you should cover the whole thing in it. :)

Thanks for the idea, I think Ill line the bottoms of enclosures with these mats. :)

Dumped a bunch of seed on it, watered it myself for a few days. Then thought what am I doing? I don't even water my lawn outside - so I just let the mist king do the work.

Phenomenal job! I think you should add some more nozzles to your misting system and have the grass grow everywhere. Your free range looks extraordinary either way.

I think the "grass Matt".word your looking for is coconut husk. I only know that cause I just made hanging baskets :) more fun than I thought. Great idea btw I am so on it! Can this be done in the bottom of my screen cage? The husk will provide plenty of drainage. Is there any other risks?

Are u gonna get a tiny lawnmower? :)

Wow im going straight to HD after work. i think it will make a great addition to my cages! what about fungus though..could it possible hold too much moisture?? not so much on top but in the husk itself???

I really that! If it continues to work of you and not have problems I'm sure I will do it as well! Great job and thank you so much for sharing this! :)

Wow im going straight to HD after work. i think it will make a great addition to my cages! what about fungus though..could it possible hold too much moisture?? not so much on top but in the husk itself???

That's the great thing about coconut husk it holds almost no moisture it won't absorb it well so 90% of the water runs right through it. Holds just enough fir the grass to grow

I always wondered how easily we could grow grass using coco matts but never did the test.....

have you tried growing them on other surfaces at all? like on a wall?

I will definitely be trying this.........

yeah im doing this getting supplies tonight.. ill post pics when it is all grown in lol. great ideas from great people!

where did u buy it from cause they got a as seen for tv one and i was thinking abut buying it so let me kno

Back
Top Bottom