Grow Bulb

it is safe but it will not help him grow or provide vitamins. Grow lights are for plants.
What typf of lighting are you using uvb and uva?

im not sure, what kind of bulb would you recomend? im still putting together my set up before i bring my little guy home.

Lighting is very important for the health of your chameleon. What type do you plan on getting? You will need a Reptisun 5.o tube bulb and depending on the age of you chameleon and species you will need a regular housebulb for basking. Somewhere between40-60 watt. The 6500k the other member mentioned is for your plants to grow, not for your chameleon.

You can use a 6500K color temp lamp from home Depot or Lowes

just to make sure the op understands this lamp is just for the plant and visual light and while it's safe for your chameleon you will still need 2 more types of lights. UVB as carol
stated most recommend the repti-sun 5.0 tube style (not the compact) tho I think reptiglo 5.0 should work also. You then also need a basking light (something that puts off heat) most will recommend a 40-50 watt house hold bulb in a dome fixture ( adjusted to give a basking spot in the low 80s for babies and I THINK 90s for a adult veiled)

*edit* looks like carol covered most that info, dang my slow typing on this phone!

just to make use the op understands this lamp is just for the plant and visual light and while it's safe for your chameleon you will still need 2 more types of lights. UVB as carol
stated most recommend the repti-sun 5.0 tube style (not the compact) tho I think reptiglo 5.0 should work also. You then also need a basking light (something that puts off heat) most will recommend a 40-50 watt house hold bulb in a dome fixture ( adjusted to give a basking spot in the low 80s for babies and I THINK 90s for a adult veiled)

*edit* looks like carol covered most that info, dang my slow typing on this phone!

lol! Ihate when that happens!!!

Actually, go for a 5000k instead. The 6500k puts off a really blue light that chameleons percieve as grayish, which is not harmful but it's unpleasant (and some research I've heard about suggests that it makes feeders look less appealing?). 5000k is nearly as bright and it puts out a more natural color spectrum, apparently.

Actually, go for a 5000k instead. The 6500k puts off a really blue light that chameleons percieve as grayish, which is not harmful but it's unpleasant (and some research I've heard about suggests that it makes feeders look less appealing?). 5000k is nearly as bright and it puts out a more natural color spectrum, apparently.

Could you share this research? The 6500K is used to help the plants grow because (from my understanding) it is a more 'natural' color spectra... meaning it's what the sun makes. My understanding is that 5000k don't work well.

Could you share this research? The 6500K is used to help the plants grow because (from my understanding) it is a more 'natural' color spectra... meaning it's what the sun makes. My understanding is that 5000k don't work well.

Unfortunately, I can't remember where I found it :eek: It might have been a combo of different sources so I will have to rummage through my history to see if I can find them again. I have heard that ReptileUV and Dr. Baines have done studies using the 6500k lights and that over long periods of time might be detrimental. From what I understand, the 6500k is outside the natural spectrum where as 5000k is visually more natural. I made the switch in my set-ups and have had success keeping my plants alive.

I'll see if I can find the info and post it.

its a panther chameleon 6 weeks old.

Just be sure to use a UVB lamp along with your 6500k or if you use the 5000k. UVB lamps must be used if you are not giving your chameleon direct sunlight. UVB does not transmit through glass or plastic. So putting your cham near a closed window will not work. Also UVB lamps should not be placed on top of a cage that has a plastic top or used in fixtures with a plastic cover.

Last edited:
I use a UVB linear and a 60w "grow" bulb I found at Lowe's as my basking light/plant grower as I was trying to use a hibiscus and it essentially didn't work. It's sorta greenish but the cham seems to loves it though. He sits under it all the time. I'll probably switch to a normal 60w bulb now but I'm too lazy to climb up to the top of my cage now.

Back
Top Bottom