Greetings! Help with a Senegal! :Wall of text:

claire voyant

Hello! :D

My name is Jillian, I'm new, obviously. Har har.

I'm glad I found this site. It's nice to know there's a community of chameleon fans/lovers etc to turn to!

Well, here's my chameleon story.

I have a chameleon, her name is Sheila! And, I don't know if she actually is a female. I need to take her to a doctor (I know where one is.), she isn't ill. From what I know anyways. But I want her to be looked at, so she's healthy and happy.

I know I may sound ridiculous and uninformed about some things, but at least hear me out on my story of how I got my best green friend. :]

Sheila was a surprise birthday gift to me. I honestly don't think I'd ever give the gift of a chameleon to anyone in the position I received her for many reasons.

Although I love chameleons, I knew NOTHING about them, besides that they were cool colors and had a long tounge. Nor was I any more knowledgeable when I got her.

She was purchased at a place called Serpent Safari, it's in the mall by me. I've heard other locations of this chain aren't too bad. But I was, after some research irritated in the way my chameleon was sold off without any proper information being passed on.

My friends bought her for, I think around 80+ dollars. (I'll get back to that in a moment) When I got her on my birthday, she came with

-Her
-A glass tank
-Bedding that said on the package it wasn't 'acceptable' for chameleons. (Which I'm not sure if it actually isn't good for chameleons, or if it says it on the packaging to save the companies back end)
-A little bend a branch
-Basic light
-Humidity gage/reader
-Can of dead crickets

At this point, I had no clue about anything. All I was told by my friends, that was told to them was that I needed to spray the sides to let her drink.

They, nor I in turn knew she needed FRESH crickets to eat, that she could do with a plant (What kind was another story), better lighting, something to measure the temperature, bedding and so on -

So, there I sat for two days wondering why Sheila wouldn't eat her yummy pre-dead canned crickets. I had no internet to turn to, so I had a friend look up things on the internet for me. When I started to read and realize everything she needed that she didn't have, I started panicking. So when I got a chance I got a friend to drive me back to the place she came from (Serpent Safari).

I asked the woman at the counter about my chameleon. She mistook my questions as me wanting to buy one, so she starts telling me the prices of chameleons, and I cut her off. I asked her what species Sheila was, and whether she was a he because I didn't even know that. And Neither did they, the sex of Sheila at least. Which confused me because she was in a cage with another chameleon, and I thought some were territorial D:

So I ask for a book with any information, she points me to one. I go over and pick it up and it's all about the Jackson's and Parsons (D: Am I right with Parsons?) And a brief blip of the grace full chameleon.

Irritated at the whole issue I left. Went to a pet store and got even more confused about what was what, with lights and food. No one knew anything there either.

Finally, I went into a local pet store by me, and the people there were so helpful. I bought better bedding to hold the humidity, some more branches, a heat lamp and something to tell me the temperature. 70+ plus dollars well worth spending. <3

So, I don't know how old she is. She's maybe about 6 inches? D: Not quite sure off the top of my head. And she shed about 3 weeks after I got her I believe.

For those who didn't want to read all that , I filled this out for the basic stuff from the health forum in case I missed anything.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Glass, I know I know, not the most recommended, but, I stopped using the one I got with her becuase it was small, and I got a free tank that's maybe (38 Gallon 36 1/4 x12 5/8 x19 3/4 ) I think, I can't recall dimensions offhand, I looked that up. It's pretty big for her, she has a lot of room to move around,

Lighting - I have two lights, a basic, UV light for the day and her 'sun soaking' and a red heat lamp that I keep on opposite sides of the tank. And her branches are different heights in the cage so she can be close or far form the heat source.

Temperature - Well, my temp. is usually 75-85 depending from top to bottom. I have the UV light and the Heat lamp for her. I need to buy another thermometer to put in her tank, one broke.

Humidity - It's usually 60% -70%, I spray her tank, and the leaves in there to maintain it. And I have a gage for humidity.

Plants - I have two plants, one is a vine. I checked to see if they were okay to use around Sheila and they're one of the good ones. My mom is a horticulture major, so she helped me with getting the right not chemical soil and cleaning the plants off and such.

Location - She's on my dresser. When I move I want to place her in a more solid place. The top of the tank is maybe about 5 feet off the ground. I'm 5'3 and I just over look it.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Senegal, Not sure about the correct age, or the sex of her. I've had her for three-four months.

Handling - I pick her up when the sun is really bright so she can sit on my hand and bask in the sun since it's freezing outside now. That's usually when I handle her, just to have her sun bathe.

Feeding - I feed her large crickets. She has no problem eating them. I feed the crickets these things called cricket yummies, they're sticks full of vitamins and other good things. Along with the occasional veggie to mix it up.

Supplements - I honestly don't know anything about this topic really. Anyone care to point me in the right direction, or explain?

Watering - I spray the tank and leaves with a water bottle, I also have the liquid I put in the water to take any chemicals or anything out of it. I mist pretty often, a few times a day, usually when I see things have dried off. She drinks well :]

Fecal Description - Brown in color, with a yellow end/front to it? I'm not sure how chameleons break down the food. So I hope that sounds right.

History - No clue really, just that she came from serpent safari.

Current Problem - I've noticed she'll kind of cough sometimes, not often or anything, but maybe once or twice, I think it may be just a digestion thing, like anything else but I wanted to bring that up.

Also, in the past week, the area under her head (Chin) where she can usually puff her chin out, I've noticed it has a little bulge to it. I picked her up to investigate and felt it to see if it was hard or anything, but it didn't seem to be, it this just part of the growing process? Again, I have no clue how they develop sexually, and if this was just some of the physical features of a Senegal that they get.

Thank you anyone who read this. @__@!
I'd appreciate any suggestions, or help. I just want to make her as happy as I can. :D I love my Sheila!

Hope my wall of text wasn't too much!

Picture of her in a tree when it was warmer out!

335876578_1151013922_0.jpg

Where to start?? My answer is going to be longer than your post!

I have always used glass cages for Senegals...but I live in Canada and its cold for a good part of the year and dry in the house then too. You do have to make sure that you don't leave any water laying at the bottom of the cage...and I strongly recommend that you use no substrate. Too many of them can cause impaction...so IMHO its better not to risk it.

Glad that you don't handle it to much. Some Senegals are able to tolerate it and others aren't.

You said its about 6 inches long (without the tail...I assume?)...so large crickets are fine for her to eat. She can also have silkworms, superworms, roaches, butterworms, phoenix worms, etc. and once in a while, waxworms.
I gutload/feed my crickets with an assortment of greens (dandelion, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, celery leaves, zucchini, etc.)

Supplements - I dust with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at most feedings to help make up for the usually poor ratio of calcium to phos.

I also dust with a vitamin powder that has a beta carotene source of vitamin A twice a month. Beta carotene will not build up in the system like preformed vitamin A can. Excess preformed vitamin A can prevent the D3 from doing its job and lead to MBD.

Twice a month I use a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder. D3 from supplements can build up too. The chameleon is better to have a source of UVB light (from direct sunlight or UVB from a linear/long tube that has no plastic or glass between it and the chameleon) so that it can produce its own D3 and thus use the calcium in its system.

Calcium, D3, phos., and vitamin A are important for bone health and need to be in balance.

You said..."She drinks well :]"... its good that she drinks well! That's particularly important with Senegals.

Fecal Description - It should consist of a brown "sausage" and a white part...not a yellow part.

She is likely WC. There are not many born in captivity.

If the coughing has only happened a couple of times then its likely nothing...but it if persists you will need to know why its happening.

The bulge under the chin might be gular edema or if the cough is fairly often she might be developing a repiratory infection.

I'm not sure from the picture, but if you post another of her sideways so I can see the base of the tail better, I should be able to tell you.

She needs a basking area in the low 80's. It can be a regular incandescent bulb in a hood...the chameleon won't likely realize that the red light is a place to bask. Put it to one side of the cage so that there will be a warm side and a cooler side. The appropriate temperature will aid with digestion.

You don't need heat on the cage unless its cooler than about 60F. The lights should be on for about 12-14 hours a day...following the seasons.

For all female egglaying chameleons I put an opaque container of washed playsand in the cage in case she needs to lay eggs. (The container should be about 10" deep.

There is likely lots I have missed, but this is enough for you to absorb for now!

:D Thank you for all that!

As for all these supplements, can I just get them at any pet store? Or is this something I need to go find and mix or anything. And then I do just exactly that, dust the crickets? :B Sorry xD; I just want to make sure I have all the right details.

When I get a chance, I'll take a photo of her recently so people can see her bump. I won't be able to take her in for another week or so because of money issues. But that's something I'll do as soon as I can.

:D Thank you, thank you.

I too would be worried about the cough and the bulging gular region. Glass cages and too high humidity plus the stagnant bacteria filled water that can build up in a tank is certainly a recipe for upper respiratory infection. That will require a Vet visit. You mention the money issue, and chameleons are certainly a pricy adventure-yet another reason they are not a good "surprise". Where are you located? Although our Canandian friends and UK friends are very good at maintaining chams in glass cages we Southern people here use all screen for most every species. You will need to make sure you have a UVB flourescent tube-and not just any light. Zoomed Reptisun 5.0's are most recommended here. I would switch out the red light for a standard household bulb in either a 40W or 60W too keep the temps in the low 80's as suggested. Supplements used are generally Calcium with D3, Calcium without D3, and a mulitvitamin/mineral supplement-this picture shows some that are commonly used. If you are in the States here LLLReptile.com is great and low priced place to order supplies. Also, I would not recommend taking your chameleon outside in temps below 70-even if the sun is shining bright. If she does have some kind of URI-the cold temps will certainly not help.
supps.jpg

hey Jillian, r you located in US? Canada? Europe?
Like Kinyonga said, depending on where you located, some type of cage are better suited for your chameleon than others.

Mostly, people located in US are more inclined to put their chams in screen cage (cheaper than aquarium and actually better imho) to ensure perfect ventilation for their chameleon.
If you choose to use aquarium, you have to make sure that it has adequate ventilation. I recommend minimum 2 sides with air vent (top and the side).

Hey there again! I got a visit scheduled for Friday at 3pm to take Sheila in. I mentioned everything to them, the cough, bulge, etc. So I'll get her checked.

I'd like to buy her a screened cage soon. Any dimension recommendations? I want her to be comfy. Until then, are there any good bedding solutions for a glass tank? I have a bark type bedding, and I clean spot it everyday, or at least when she leaves me a present and such. And I also had been scooping out any bedding that was wet, replacing it. I figured it was kind of like a litter box effect. You'd want to get the moist stuff out, I figured mold would grow or something.

@ Julirs: Thank you so much for the pictures, I wasn't sure what the supplements looked like! I haven't taken her outside, outside for awhile now. I was doing that on those hot humid days. I had the sunburns too xD;!

I live in Illinois, fyi. Like I said before, I'd like to get her a screened cage when I get the money to, but for now all I have is the tank. D:!

So switching out the red light with a house lamp would be better you think for heat? I have the one UVB light, but not a tube stretching across the cage or anything, and then the red light. Would it be okay to get just a regular ceramic heat lamp as opposed to a light to keep the temperature?

Also D: In the mean time should I get a little fan to move around the air in her tank?

xD I'm sorry, I have so many questions, I just feel so ridiculous having this wonderful pet and not knowing the most I can about her.

Paper towels would be the best thing for the cage bottom right now. The household bulb would definitely be better than the red bulb. What kind of UVB do you have? Coiled compacts are dangerous and known to cause eye injuries.

Just watch your temps in the glass cage for now-it should be OK until you get a screen cage.

Back
Top Bottom