Gravid Veiled regurgitating foam. Help please.

VeiledOwner87

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Female C. Calyptratus, 1.5 years old. Been in my care for about a month, has been in captive care with owner since 9 months of age.
Handling - everyday for medicine injections, hydration shower (if needed), shes a wonderfully tamed chameleon who does not stress at all when being handled.
Feeding - wax worms and silkworms, will not budge on crickets or meal worms? 3 each feeding? once every 3 days? for crickets (dry food, and gutload salad), silk chow for silkworms, waxworms none since i refrigerate them?
Supplements - Rep-cal with and without D3, Exo-Terra multivitamin with beta carotene, no vitamin a? calcium suppliment has not been given due to daily calcium gluconate injections
Watering - hydration showers, garden pump mistings, she drank today right from the misting nozzle, so i wil; thirst her like that from now on.
Fecal Description - dark fecal compacted together and wet when dropped (not runny) has been small in size lately due to appetite. urates go from snow white to light orange from days to days. no fecals have been done but in self examination of droppings nothing seems abnormal. (How fresh does a sample have to be to get a test done?)
History - Was bought at pet shop in London Ontario. no previous breeding, has always been very tame, healthy and active.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Housed in laying bin 1'3''d x 1'6''w x 1'9''h recycle box.
Lighting - Exo-Terra 5.0 CFL (year late 2009) cfl is due to space.
Temperature - around 95 max basking(depends on how far the light is), ambient 75-85,
Humidity - im dont have an extra hygrometer, but being the enclosure the dryest humidity read would be around 40-50%, it never got below 30 in her 38g screen cage. i use a garden pump for mistings, and give her a shower about 2-3 times a week.
Plants - was using a hibiscus but it died, fake plants at the moment.
Placement - in my bedroom next to the large veiled vivarium? it gets hot so i have a ceiling fan going to circulate air, as well as isolating fan when room temps wont stay down.? it is maybe a 1'1/2 off the ground with no view of the outside. (i believe she cannot tell how high she is.) it is not located in a high traffic area what so ever
Location - Windsor Ontario, Southern Canada.

Current Problem - She has been very healthy, active and eating. But has had sunken eyes the past few days, i take it due to dehydration. her urates have been decently white some days, then slight orange the others. she drank very well today from my mister. although when i went to check up on her, she had foam on the side of her mouth, not alot, but as i investigated the area she was in, there was regurgitation on the branch and leaves. she hasnt done this at all. at least not to my knowledge. her grip is still well and she is very active. she has been walking around and climbing on the top screen.

She started digging 3-4 days ago, but stopped and hasnt again. my doctor gave me a dosage of oxytocin to see if perhaps this would help. We tried oxytocin about 3 weeks ago. She has also been on liquid Calcium Gluconate (1ml a day) at doctors instructions. she has totaly lost interest in crickets, but will give her 3 wax worms or if i go out i will give her a silkworm and 2 wax worms, every 3 days.

im thinking maybe she drank too much water at once today on an empty stomach. i put in crickets but she didnt budge

That is probably what it is and i wouldn't worry to much about it unless it happens again. If she is laying, why are you trying to feed her? Please tell me you put her in the bin and have left her alone? If you don't, or she sees you, she will stop digging and then she,and you, are in trouble. I would make sure she is hydrated in the am then put her in the bin and go away for the day. You can still check on her as long as you figure out how to do that without her seeing you.

its been done, i usually sneak up behind a plant on my veileds cage and look down from a distant. unless she is just perched on a branch im extreamly cautious with how i monitor her. i wish i still had my web cam :( but i basically have to elevate my eyeballs out of my skull from like a foot away from her cage just to check up on her lol. at least thats what it feels like. when she is walking around on the ground i never disturb her at all. ive read they have a "sence" of preds in the wild. so myth or fact i dont make myself visable and tip toe around my room when shes roaming on the ground. i try and make as less vibrations of anysort as possible

Is she receiving the 1 mL of calcium gluconate via injection or are you giving it to her orally??? Are you giving the calcium gluconate injections (I'm guessing 27%) on your own, or did the vet advise that? Is it a reptile vet you are going to? Are you injecting them Subcutaneously or IM? How long have you been doing that for? I actually had Douglas Mader, DVM, the most well known and well respected reptile veterinarian in the world tell me at a seminar that it is better to give reptiles calcium orally than parenterally (injection). I'm sure your vet knows what he/she is talking about hopefully, but never assume that, but when I saw that I just had to ask. Also, chameleons bruise extremely easy and I once had a chameleon bleed out from subcutaneous fluid administration (she bled out under her skin). The thing about giving calcium orally is that the body will absorb what it needs in through the small intestine and excrete the rest in the feces/urine. If given via injection, you could possibly be overloading the reptile with calcium, which is an electrolyte, and increasing a mineral or electrolyte to such high amounts will actually dehydrate the cells. It sucks the water out of the cells through osmosis, causing the dehydration signs you have mentioned. I am just talking about this so thoroughly because I have had to treat many reptiles that veterinarians have killed because of having the owners give calcium gluconate injections without fully explaining it and the owner just gives it constantly without diluting it. If you are injecting her with 1 mL of calcium daily, STOP IMMEDIATELY. The signs you are speaking of are severe dehydration, especially the foaming at the mouth and thickened mucous secretions. I hope she is ok. Sorry about all the questions, I just got worried when I saw the daily calcium injections because that can be a killer... I hope that's not what's going on. Hope to hear from you soon :)

Back
Top Bottom