Gravid Female Panther not eating

BMXICAN

Hello,

I keep my girl Dory in a 2'x2'x3' enclosure with a big umbrella tree. She is outdoors most of the time so I really don't use UVB bulbs unless I leave them inside for extended periods of time (which never happens really).

She has been gravid since 11/9, when she denied my male's mating approaches. I have only seen her eat once or twice since then. She ate a big superworm and one cricket. She drinks fine, just hasn't been eating.
She also has a laying bin in her cage I made out of a gallon milk jug with 60% organic potting soil an 40% clean beach sand (from Coronado, SD ;)).

I know that gravid females can go on a hunger strike since they have no room for food in their bellies (because of the eggs). But this has been a bit long and I'm getting worried.... is it normal? :confused:

I'm waiting on a shipment of worms from Kevin @ Zamp's Bugs. Phoenix, silkies and hornworms. Hopefully I can get her to eat some of those. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks! :D

DSC01255.jpg

From what ive seen, some females wont eat much when they're gravid sometimes but have you seen any poop? Do you freerange or cup feed her? I would also highly reccomend getting a larger laying bin for her. I use a bins that are at least 12 inches tall and as wide and deep as the female is from the tip of her nose to the end of her tail.

From what ive seen, some females wont eat much when they're gravid sometimes but have you seen any poop? Do you freerange or cup feed her? I would also highly reccomend getting a larger laying bin for her. I use a bins that are at least 12 inches tall and as wide and deep as the female is from the tip of her nose to the end of her tail.

My girl hardly ate anything during the entire time she was gravid and laid 41 eggs. just provide her with food she will eat if she needs to.

I also agree with the bigger laying bin

Yeah, I agree, I have seen some females eat VERY little while gravid. It doesn't seem to affect the size of the clutch though, from what I noticed. That laying bin is small, I would definetly get something bigger. At Home Depot they have some nice sized pots that work great!

Cool deal, I'll get her a bigger laying bin then.
Thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure.....

And no, she isn't free ranged. As mentioned above, 2'x2'x3' cage and I cup feed and also let food loose in her cage. either way, she isn't interested. She just gets huffy puffy, making me leave. :(

PS: Her poop looks normal. Not huge dumps like usual but still looks solid and the urates are white.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom