Grasshoppers...

I went bug hunting today with my son and I was able to find about a dozen grasshoppers from a pesticide free area. The lucky chameleons that got a chance to taste them, absolutely LOVED them. I sure wish we could buy these here in Ontario, Canada.

Is there an easy way to breed your own grasshoppers?? This would be a great addition for my chameleons, along with roaches, silkworms, superworms and crickets!

I've recommended this book before, so don't think I'm getting paid commission by them or anything, but it really has a lot of great information for breeding insects at home: "Breeding Food Animals" (by Friederich and Volland).
There is a whole chapter about raising locusts/grasshoppers. It even explains how to easily grow wheatgrass at home to feed the insects.

I haven't actually set up a breeding unit of my own yet, but as soon as summer rolls back around here and I can collect enough breeding stock out in the wild again, I'm definitely going to try it.

I went bug hunting today with my son and I was able to find about a dozen grasshoppers from a pesticide free area. The lucky chameleons that got a chance to taste them, absolutely LOVED them. I sure wish we could buy these here in Ontario, Canada.

Is there an easy way to breed your own grasshoppers?? This would be a great addition for my chameleons, along with roaches, silkworms, superworms and crickets!

Hi there Vibrant Chameleons,
got your thread and just wanted to help and give you a link where you can begin your rearing of your hoppers and learn a little bit about them.
I'm about to breed some to cause they are a bit easy to get here but i'm really looking for the lime green ones but the ones i get i'll try with them first and then try ti find the green ones.

here the link :http://insected.arizona.edu/ghopperrear.htm

And here you can check the sexes of them :http://insected.arizona.edu/ghopperinfo.htm

and here are some pic's
grs12d.jpg

grs4d.jpg

Hope this will help!!!

Back
Top Bottom