Got a new cage for my cham, now he hates me.

DChalo

Hello, a week or so ago i got a veiled from my friend and he was very sweet and walked over my shoulders and liked to walk around my room. But i was keeping him in a 20 gallon tank with few things until the sreen cage i ordered came in. And it came in yesterday and after he spent about a day in the cage and bought a lot of vines and branches, i tried to take him out the next day and he would not leave his vines, he hissed at me and opened his mouth and i've never seen him do this before. Does this mean he likes his cage? Will he get nicer after he gets more used to the cage?

Is he dark or light colored in his new cage? If he's dark and you don't have a lot of cover then he may feel exposed, out of his element and you are an additional threat. But if he's light colored I'd say he probably likes his new cage! That's his home now and he doesn't feel like looking for someplace better like he was before (could have been why he was so eager to leave his old cage and crawl on you). I don't know if he'll get nicer with time. Mine certainly didn't...

Is he dark or light colored in his new cage? If he's dark and you don't have a lot of cover then he may feel exposed, out of his element and you are an additional threat. But if he's light colored I'd say he probably likes his new cage! That's his home now and he doesn't feel like looking for someplace better like he was before (could have been why he was so eager to leave his old cage and crawl on you). I don't know if he'll get nicer with time. Mine certainly didn't...

He's light colored when he sleeps, he's darker when he is basking and puffs his body up, and then he's like green when he climbs

Male Veileds are bound to hate you. Just about anytime you get a new chams they are unsure of their surroundings and become temporarily "handleable". If you set their cage up right they become settled and territorial. He may never like you.

i would say he just likes his new home, my little camo is sooo friendly, but some times he is just comfy and dosent want to move, he also does this whenever i ler him freerange in his fav dracena tree. makes me pretty sure they are just happy where they are and dont want to move. and like ferrit sugg make sure he has lots of plants and vines to feel goood and safe.

sounds like he loves his cage to me and has become teritorial. if you want him to come out just leave the door open. he will let you pic him up once he is outside on top of the door.

sorry to hear you did a great job with the cage. :rolleyes:
btw, I agree, he may always hate you from now on. but I think he just doesn't want anyone in his territory.

Harry

sounds like he loves his cage to me and has become teritorial. if you want him to come out just leave the door open. he will let you pic him up once he is outside on top of the door.

sorry to hear you did a great job with the cage. :rolleyes:
btw, I agree, he may always hate you from now on. but I think he just doesn't want anyone in his territory.

Harry

Oh, well that sucks! Now he wont sit on my shoulders and climb around me anymore

Mine was super friendly when I first got him too. I got him with his old cage from a previous owner. It wasn't a horrible setup, but I built him a new cage with lots of climbing vines and foliage and ever since putting him in his nice cage he became an absolute jerk who tries to bite.

Mine was super friendly when I first got him too. I got him with his old cage from a previous owner. It wasn't a horrible setup, but I built him a new cage with lots of climbing vines and foliage and ever since putting him in his nice cage he became an absolute jerk who tries to bite.

Wow, this is wierd. When my cham is in his cage, he doesnt like to come out. But when i take him out he doesnt want to go back in his cage. What a moody cham

Back
Top Bottom