Gizzy Update

sallyb

Avid Member
Gizzy seems to have been off colour again recently and although we seemed to deal with the constipation it quickly seemed to reoccur and the last few days she has been quite dark and lethargic. The lump i mentioned that was protruding from near her liver had become large again and she is swelling up. We spoke to the vet and decided to take her in.

Anyway, Adam (the vet) did an ultra sound and said that he cannot see any signs of the ovaries rejuvenating although it is a remote possibilty. However they did notice a suspicious area that could indicate an enlarged spleen or liver ! Our worst nightmare :( It is possible that she is just constipated and the suspicious area is food in Gizzy`s intestinal tract so he has given her an antibiotic, pain relief and an oral medicine to use at home daily which should relieve her constipation if that is the issue. Fingers crossed, we are all praying she will soon recover.

Does anybody know anything about the enlarged liver and/or spleen issue please ? I know it`s very serious, but is it something that can be resolved or are we looking at losing our little girl if she has either ? I would be really grateful for any information on this and to be prepared should the worst happen. We don`t want her to suffer needlessly by making a bad decision with regards to treatment.:confused:

Oh, Sally - what can I say? It's such a shame to go through all that worry again so soon. And to think she looked like she would make a full recovery too. :( I can't offer much help, but when our vet did Lily's post mortem, her liver was enlarged and she had around 30mls of fluid in her body cavity that he drained off, which I presume had come from her liver.

Thanks Tiff. We are just mortified that the poor little soul isn`t well again, she really deserves some respite. I was reading your post on dear Lily`s post mortem again today. I wish i knew a bit more about it and what the prognosis is if she has this. She just looks so swollen right now. I wish i could do something to make her feel better.

We feel really lucky to have such a brilliant vet and her ladyship turned bright green for the first time in days when she saw him. The nurse even commented that she`d never met a lizard with a crush on the vet, lol. She seemed to have perked up a bit by the time she went to bed so with any luck she`ll soon be much better.

I just feel so sad for you. Gizzy is such a special girl, like Lily was. That's cute that Gizzy likes the vet though, bless her! Lily looked very bloated too, presumably due to the build up of fluid. She also weighed 200g AFTER laying her second clutch of 102 - also I presume due to the fluid and enlarged liver. I have everything crossed for you and Gizzy - I really hope that the vet can help your dear little girl. You certainly both deserve it after all you've been through.

I am so sorry Sally. Little Gizzie sure doesn't deserve more problems. The hardest part is watching and not being able to do a single for them isn't it? About all you can do is keep her happy and wait for the vet to decide what is wrong. We are all pulling for the two of you.

everything crossed,

Thank you all for your kind comments - if only Gizzy knew how many people are thinking of us right now and willing her on i`m sure she`d feel much better :)

Tiff - Gizzy is weighing in at 150g today which is 30g more than she was post op. I do wonder if the swelling could be fluid as the vet did initially find white pus in her abdomen when he did the op. I often watch Gizzy doing her quirky little things and think of Lily - like you i feel honoured to have been blessed with a cham larger than life, she makes everything worthwhile when she has a "Gizzy moment" lol.

Laurie - It really is awful watching them feeling ill and knowing you can do nothing. Gizzy is not drinking much at the moment although she is eating well so our main aim right now is to get some fluid into her. How are you newbies getting along ? Good i hope, you have some real beauties there. :)

Back
Top Bottom