Gizmo my panther is trying to eat fake plants

Hoj

Friendly Grasshopper
so yesterday and today i have noticed that my almost 3 month old nosy be chameleon is try to eat his fake plants. like really tring hard biteing them and shakeing his head like a dog he isnt getting any off but still curious?
i read alot about veileds likeing vegitation and my camo ( veiled ) loves fruit and veggies, but i dont hear much about panthers doing it. i have tried to show him that the pothos in there is real and even tore a piece of and put it up where he hangs out.
has anyone else noticed this behaviour in their panther? i dont want to remove all the fake plants buts i def, dont want a problem:confused:

thanks hoj

Although its not common, some do eat vegitation. Maybe be careful using a ficus...

thx hes so small right now the only plant that fit in his setup was a pothos but he has a umbrella and pothos in his new home but thats still a month or so away, he need to grow abit

I would try giving organic greens, like collards or kale in a cup and see if he will take to that instead. They also love hibiscus plants, but depending on what region you live in right about now they are hard to come by but I can PM you with the nursery that you can purchase them from which supplies the U.S period with these beautiful plants.

Gizmo can get by with out the fake plants. I would take them out rather than take a chance with him. But maybe we can figure out what is going on. Does he also try to eat the pothos? It make me wonder what it is about the fake plants he likes/wants. Since he is so little you do give him all he wants to eat right? His food isn't too big? I can't even think of anything else to ask.

Gizmo can get by with out the fake plants. I would take them out rather than take a chance with him. But maybe we can figure out what is going on. Does he also try to eat the pothos? It make me wonder what it is about the fake plants he likes/wants. Since he is so little you do give him all he wants to eat right? His food isn't too big? I can't even think of anything else to ask.

ya hes got lots of food a few crickets in a bowl all day and free range flies and crickets most of the time. i am trying to direct him to the pothos so he realizes he can eat that if he wants. but he so small he gets nervous when im reaching around and forgets about wanting to eat the plant.:confused:
im keeping a close eye on him and going to see what small plants i can get for his current setup.
thx as always Laurie

hoj

as far as eating veggies, has anyone ever put some parsley or light green leafy veggies in the cage for their pet cham to snack on or is that a no-no??

My Panther at 3 months + bites vine bark leaves etc. Teething? :D

My Veiled did it to. Sometimes it means they do not like an object in the cage :)

My Panther at 3 months + bites vine bark leaves etc. Teething? :D

My Veiled did it to. Sometimes it means they do not like an object in the cage :)

My panther did that too, when he was young. He chewed on his vine. Now a year old I havent seen him do it anymore.

LOL, I said teething too. Of course that may not be true but its funny.:rolleyes:

Hoj I would just take them out, just in case. I saw quite a few different sizes of plants at my local lowes & home depot recently, I'm sure toucan find something else appropriate to provide coverage until he grows a little.
When I repotted my bushy pothos that I bought at walmart, I found that it actually was multiple smaller portions planted together, so I ended up making 4 smaller pots out of it. The hibiscuses both have 4 main stems too, maybe could be divided. One of my little guys favourites is a Hoya that when I bought it was trained around a hoop, I carefully undid it and stretched the vibes out around his climbing ropes, he sleeps in those almost every night.
My old flapneck loved the ponytail plant, but new guy doesn't go near it.
My big guy loves his staghorn fern in hanging baskets (so much I gave him both) and he's not so big on the hibiscus, whereas little guy loves his hibiscus.
But so far neither has tried to eat anything, that I've noticed anyway.
I would check your local lowes, home depot & walmart for new real plants, and in the meantime maybe put some plain ropes or vines where you've got fake vines now, and clip some veggie leaves to them for temporary edible coverage? :)

Steve does it too. He only does it every couple of months though, he's 7 months old now. He sure isn't starving, I actually wonder if he eats too much. But yet I'll wake up to him trying to chomp on a leaf. He has a pothos but he doesn't try to bite it, just the fake stuff.

My Gizzy eats plants, but for some reason only when they are brand new :rolleyes: I removed the fake stuff because she did have one or two attempts at munching that too. I would definitely take out the fake stuff and go with live plants if you can. However, I take no responsibility for bald tree`s and non-umbrella plants :eek::p;)

Wow, those are wonderful ideas. I love the vines or ropes with greens clipped on.

Hoj I would just take them out, just in case. I saw quite a few different sizes of plants at my local lowes & home depot recently, I'm sure toucan find something else appropriate to provide coverage until he grows a little.
When I repotted my bushy pothos that I bought at walmart, I found that it actually was multiple smaller portions planted together, so I ended up making 4 smaller pots out of it. The hibiscuses both have 4 main stems too, maybe could be divided. One of my little guys favourites is a Hoya that when I bought it was trained around a hoop, I carefully undid it and stretched the vibes out around his climbing ropes, he sleeps in those almost every night.
My old flapneck loved the ponytail plant, but new guy doesn't go near it.
My big guy loves his staghorn fern in hanging baskets (so much I gave him both) and he's not so big on the hibiscus, whereas little guy loves his hibiscus.
But so far neither has tried to eat anything, that I've noticed anyway.
I would check your local lowes, home depot & walmart for new real plants, and in the meantime maybe put some plain ropes or vines where you've got fake vines now, and clip some veggie leaves to them for temporary edible coverage? :)

Yay, glad I could help. :)
That was going to be my plan if I ever noticed any plant nibbling. I figured plus maybe it would attract the bugs & provide them with extra extended gutloading while they were loose/ignored & hanging out in the cage too, maybe?

But how quickly does water evaporate from the leaves of your fake plants? are they silk or plastic?
It may be your lizard is just no longer getting enough water from this method, consider a dripper and real plants. :)

Back
Top Bottom