2980286647_331771cae8.jpg

3012562414_2e7c12d918.jpg

some male pictures:

2825520417_e139473cab.jpg

2826342632_ee836a303b.jpg

3758938301_dc99af5253.jpg

regards

Joery

WOW! those guys are beautiful! I think theyre my new favorite chameleon!

reminds me of a whale shark

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Joery that you finally get some ! Do you have 1.1 of them ? Hope you have some success with them, unfortunately the group of successfull keepers is very very small

how do you get them?!?! they are cb or wc animals?? the first female has always that pattern?? wonderful!!

@ Chris: I'm keeping them outside for the summer period (may/june - september/october). I keep them in the largest available flexarium (260 gallon) with a large ficus tree in it. The bottom of the enclosure is covered with 3 layers of substrate (hydrogranes / plant soil / moss) to keep the humidity as high as possible (ofcourse this is only of any sense for the bottom regions of the enclosure, in the upper levels it's just the ambient humidity. I sprinkle/mist them 3-5 times a day depending on the temperature outside. A constant dripping of water droplets is also available from my garden hose. They get to sun from 6 am till 11h30 am, but the lower half of the enclosure is in constant (half) shade to prevent overheating. From 11h30 they are in half shade and from 18h00-19h00 they can bask again if i want to depending on how much sun they already had during that day. I keep them together with k. tenuis and ch. tr. sternfeldi.
The temperatures overhere are between 20-27°C during the day and 10-14 °C at night. For this species you need to be sure to be able to cool down certainly below 15°C and around 12°C is optimal i think.

@ eisentrauti: Thanks, i'm very happy with them and indeed they are a very difficult species to maintain in captivity and breeding is another problem! I have 1.2 (1 female is sub-adult, around 6cm total lenght including tail, i will include some photos later).

Joery - Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. Are you keeping them together as a 1.2 group? What have other keepers found as far as their life span is concerned? I've heard that it is suspected to be very short in the wild.

Anyone remember a while back, werent these referred to as carpets?

And therein lies the problem with common names...

Chris

@ Chris: Yes, i'm keeping them as a 1.2 group, together with my k. tenuis group and 2.1 ch. tr. sternfeldi. There is no visible stress (color darkening, hissing, ...) whatsoever but then again they have a very spacious enclosure.
In my opinion they need this big enclosure (as with most other chameleon species) to give them more choices regarding humidity, temperature, normal/natural behaviour, ... They are a very active and sun loving species.
I suspect them to have around the same lifespan as furcifer lateralis since they seem to have a lot in common regarding their habitat, incubation of eggs, temperature and humidity requirements. I have a young female, so i can see how fast they grow and mature and eventually this is a good reference to their lifespan (slower growing/maturing chameleons are usually chams that have a bigger lifespan). It's not that much work as it seems though, luckily it rains often in belgium :p so i don't need to do the misting/sprinkling all the time myself

regards

Joery

Joery,

Thanks for sharing with us. Are the females more colorful than the males or is it just the photographs that make them look more colorful?

:cool:

It depends on what people see as colorful.
Females have indeed a bigger spectrum of bright colors (green, yellow, red, blue, ...) on the other hand, the males can be very beautiful with their shades of brown/white/black/blue/yellow especially when they want to mate.

kind regards

Back
Top Bottom