Furcifer bifidus

Action Jackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I saw a old post about Furcifer bifidus pop up and I thought I’d update my experience with them.

After getting a couple clutches from my pair of Bifidus I rehomed them because I always need to keep my focus on my Parson’s breeding and try not to get sidetracked which it really hard to do 🙂

I had 7 babies hatch in the first clutch. I fairly quickly realized I would need to make adjustments to how I would need to keep the babies compared to how I raise my baby Calumma. I lost 4 babies from what I believe was to low humidity. We had been having very dry weather and although I was using live plants there just wasn’t enough humidity retention after misting apparently. I was also housing them together which probably didn’t help. So I separated them and added denser foliage and that seems to have done the trick.

I want to thank Michael Nash for bringing up the use of grasses in baby enclosures on one of Bill’s podcasts. I set up the new cage with some grass and it helped give the babies a place to go to get more humidity.

The last remaining babies seem to be doing fine. Also I checked my other clutch yesterday and the 14 eggs are still looking pretty good. They should hatch later this year. It’s a bit difficult for me to have to set them up this way since it’s different than how I raise my Parson’s but I’m doing my best. Looks like I’ll have quite a few babies again this year with these and a couple more Calumma clutches due to hatch.

FE434EBB-5A04-484D-A473-4D9E31AFFF24.jpeg
 

javadi

Avid Member
I saw a old post about Furcifer bifidus pop up and I thought I’d update my experience with them.

After getting a couple clutches from my pair of Bifidus I rehomed them because I always need to keep my focus on my Parson’s breeding and try not to get sidetracked which it really hard to do 🙂

I had 7 babies hatch in the first clutch. I fairly quickly realized I would need to make adjustments to how I would need to keep the babies compared to how I raise my baby Calumma. I lost 4 babies from what I believe was to low humidity. We had been having very dry weather and although I was using live plants there just wasn’t enough humidity retention after misting apparently. I was also housing them together which probably didn’t help. So I separated them and added denser foliage and that seems to have done the trick.

I want to thank Michael Nash for bringing up the use of grasses in baby enclosures on one of Bill’s podcasts. I set up the new cage with some grass and it helped give the babies a place to go to get more humidity.

The last remaining babies seem to be doing fine. Also I checked my other clutch yesterday and the 14 eggs are still looking pretty good. They should hatch later this year. It’s a bit difficult for me to have to set them up this way since it’s different than how I raise my Parson’s but I’m doing my best. Looks like I’ll have quite a few babies again this year with these and a couple more Calumma clutches due to hatch.

View attachment 322244
This is spectacular, incredible work as always and I'm so happy to see this success! Thanks for the kind shout out, couldn't be happier to see the approach working for others, especially a keeper so well-accomplished as yourself :)
 
Top Bottom