Fun Time at Puyallup, WA Reptile Show!

PardalisGirl

Avid Member
I had a fabulous time at the October 17 & 18 Northwest Captive Breeders Expo held at the Puyallup, WA fairgrounds. I was a vendor there (my first show selling reptiles). Pam Reid (Pam's Chams) hosted Nick Barta, Amazing Blue Reptiles and myself. We put three booths together and each had our own area to sell our stuff at.

I sold Panther chams, Crested Geckos and a bunch of gently used reptile supplies from reptile species I no longer keep (like monitor species). It was a total blast. I was very happy to have sold almost everything. My goal was to take nothing home and I just about accomplished that. Sandy Gesang (Chameleons Northwest) helped me out by buying quite a few of my Crested Geckos. I made it very difficult for her to resist though, by offering them to her at an impossibly low price. I knew she would provide a superior home for them and have way to many babies at home that need space for growing up in. I hope she will post pictures on the forum some day in the section for other reptiles.

I brought my adult female Melleri to the show for a crowd drawing display. I was a little worried that she might be stressed. If she did looked stressed at the show on Saturday I planned to put her back in her carrier for a day long nap. I was totally amazed by her attitude at the show. I brought a man's "Butler" (stand to hang a man's suit jacket and pants) that I put on top of my display table for her to sit on. She was then high up above people so she could feel more secure. She looked like a queen the whole time. She had very happy mellow colors on both days. She would calmly survey the crowds (her kingdom) and move just a little bit here and there on her stand. It was almost as if she knew she was a star. Hundreds of people snapped pictures of her with camera's and cellphone cameras. At the end of the show, when the crowds disappeared she started to climb down onto the table as I packed my things up. It's like she knew the show was over and it was time to go home. She did that both days. After watching her I really think she actually enjoyed the days and having something different to see. Not one sign of stress!

I periodically fed her small Dubia roaches and crickets while onlookers watched in amazement. Half the people coming up to my booth thought she was fake. She looked so calm and perfect. They couldn't believe she was real. I wanted to feed her to show people how she ate but I didn't want to overfeed her. She normally gets three adult roaches or some crickets every other day. She is at a point where I need to watch her weight. So I fed her small roaches and single crickets at the show. One very nice young man who came to the show on Saturday came back on Sunday with some large hornworms. He asked if he could video her eating one. It was great that he brought ones that were starting to go into the pupae stage so they weren't as juicy. I was imagining Layla eating a normal large one that would squirt juice all over my display table and the geckos covering it. Here is a link to his video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZvVNROSbbo

He also did a video of one of my Ambilobe males eating a hornworm. Julie from the forum (Chams1) bought him. He's a super sweet boy and I'm so glad he's going to such a great home. Here he is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08hdmRvIFfA

For anyone who missed my YouTube video of Layla last summer, here is the link for that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MMLCPyCBto

Such a fun show. I enjoyed meeting Julie (Chams1) and Brandon (Mepokeu) in person for the first time. I enjoyed seeing everyone else from the forum again too. Royden was there at a super busy time and I'm so sorry I didn't get enough time to talk to him. But he's coming to my house this weekend to do more photography, so I'll see him then :) Can't wait to see some more show pictures :p

Last edited:
Good times as always! It's good you were busy Catherine! Plus I'll see you on saturday. It's always good to see Pam, I missed Sandy :( Met some other forum members there. It was a fun. The chameleon table is always the highlight of the show. Missed you too Amy!

Sadly - I took not a single photo. :(

I must be getting rusty. Or the fact that the day before I had my camera around my neck all day for an anniversary celebration.

Anyone else shoot any shots?

Last edited:
Thanks, Catherine, for posting these - It's nice to have a (good) picture of the boy I purchased to tide me over until I get him!! :D It was a pleasure to finally meet you in person and I'm glad you had a great show. You were certainly busy over there!! Layla sure looked like she was posing for everyone on her "perch".

Oh, and I took plenty of pictures to go around and will post them, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. And yes, everyone's mug will be in them.... :D

I would love to see pictures! I can't see the videos at work, so I will have to wait until I get home. I SO hope I can go next year. I wish there were more events like this in WA state.

just so that people are aware, that I have dirt on ALL of you and besides it wasn't my fault!

Sandy, I was curious how your first gecko anonomyous meeting went?

That thing should have been leashed!

You couldn't be referring to the picture at my house where you've got a mossy leaftail gecko clinging to your nose and eyelids, could you?
Isn't that the whole point of a mossy leaftail gecko? - I mean, what fun are they otherwise?

They should have a warning label on those things.

CAUTION: This animal has the potential to rip off your nose from the inside out. Keep all sensitive face parts away from razor sharp needle toes!

Chams01, AJA, and Gesang(s) at the Puyallup show after closing time.

4ofusshow.jpg

The show was over and the promoter's cranked up the after-show music they play while everyone's cleaning up. Not sure what Julie and my husband Elliot are doing here, but by the smirk on Amy's face I would guess she taught them the "Mossy Leaftail Gecko Dance". It starts out all slow and innocent as you mimic it crawling up your sleeve, and then ends with shouts of "get this thing off my face!!!".

puyallupshowdance.jpg

At our house on Friday. Julie wanted to come see our setups while she was in town (would have invited you, Catherine, but we didn't plan this til Thursday and we knew you had company in town). I'm the totally goofy looking one on the left. Amy (AJA) is wearing the mossy tail, and Julie (who I think never takes a bad photo) is on the right. Notice Julie has her hand up in order to prevent the gecko from leaping onto HER face.

amymosstail.jpg

My prize crested Gecko from Catherine:

prizegeckogirl.jpg

Last edited:
That's the best face-gecko picture I've seen in a month of Sundays; nothing to be embarrassed about! And I finally got around to watching the hornworm videos; that's some good quality video, and some very splendid chams! Looks like Julie got a winner!

Looks like Julie got a winner!

I most certainly did!! :D

Nice pics Sandy! Thanks for posting them! I have no idea what Elliot and I were talking about in that picture. :confused: And yes, I have taken plenty of bad pics in my day.... Hopefully I will get a chance to post my pics from the show (and weekend) by tonight.

I'm to blame............

I think that I'm to blame for Sandy's gecko addiction. She could have gone her whole life just seeing pictures of Crested Geckos without feeling the need to get one. Once you hold and touch one and see how they behave in person you can't stop thinking about them. It's the same with Melleri. I'd seen dozens of photos and felt no need to aquire one. I visited Sandy and Elliot, saw their pair and couldn't stop thinking of them until I got one. It was my turn to pay them back when they came to my house and saw my Crested Gecko collection. The problem with "Geckos Anonymous" meetings is that we all still end up coming home with Gecko offspring from other members ;)

Great pictures!

I guess the pictures were being posted while I typed my last reply. That is a great "gecko on the face photo". You should have gotten a picture during the screaming....

I was in PAIN and all my friends could do was laugh at me. Vicious little beast, I should have just opened my mouth and munched on him.

I was in PAIN and all my friends could do was laugh at me. Vicious little beast, I should have just opened my mouth and munched on him.

Amy, I was laughing WITH you, not AT you. :D Believe me, I have had my share of gecko claws (and cham claws for that matter) to the face. You think that was bad, try a giant leaftail or vorax gecko walking on your face. The claws are twice as big and hurt twice as much. (but to your credit, any of them hurt when they are clinging to your nose....:rolleyes:)

Back
Top Bottom