Frozen Greens Okay For Gutloading?

Cherron

I live in a small town in Kentucky and the only way to purchade collard greens and mustard greens are in huge bundles. They are cheap, but they still end up going bad before I can use even a quarter of what I have to purchase. I was wondering if buying bags of these frozen (with absolutely no other added ingredients) and thawing what I need as I need it would be okay. Does the freezing affect a large amount of the nutritional content? I would like to hear people's thoughts on this please :)

I can't answer your question except to say that some vitamins might be lost by the freezing.

I put quite a few crumpled up paper towels in a large zip lock bag. I was the greens and drain them and place them in the zip lock bag. I'm careful not to overfill the bag (leave lots of breathing space). I put the bag in the fridge and the greens keep for a couple of weeks like that.

Here is one site that talks about the vitamin loss a bit...
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1300&S=4&SourceID=55

Last edited:
I think it would be fine.
I know it's okay to feed phasmids thawed bramble
through the winter (when it's not readily available)
Many keepers freeze rose, oak and bramble branches
in order to have a food supply during the lean months.
It does damage the leaves somewhat and they don't last
long once thawed....but certainly better than not offering them at all.

-Brad

If you are buying small amounts and just freezing the excess then you should be alright. As kinyonga said you will lose nutritional value. Over a longer time period you can lose quite a bit.

If you where going to do it longer then a couple days to a week you might find something like a vaccum sealer with bags will help. Slows the lose and keeps it from getting burnt. If you by any chance have a laminator you can place electrical tape over the burners and do the same thing.

I think for what you are talking about you should be fine with just throwing it in the freezer wrapped up tightly.

I use to have a link to the USDA website where you could see the differances but I can not find it.

I actually meant buying the already frozen bags of greens that I see in the grocery store. I bought them today and going to try them out. I think that as long as i continue to gutload my feeders well and supplement them appropriately, that this will work well for me. Thanks for your opinions guys :)

I think it would be fine.
I know it's okay to feed phasmids thawed bramble
through the winter (when it's not readily available)
Many keepers freeze rose, oak and bramble branches
in order to have a food supply during the lean months.
It does damage the leaves somewhat and they don't last
long once thawed....but certainly better than not offering them at all.

-Brad

Really, Brad?!? Is there a freezing process for bramble, rose and oak?

Apparently you can simply freeze pieces in ziplock bags. It's not a forever food and I believe most of these keepers have an indoor rosebush or something as well.
Additionally, several branches are collected at the end of the season and kept
refridgerated and used for several weeks.
If it's planned out correctly the frozen ones are only used for a couple of months (at the most) out of the year.

-Brad

by frezing greens they lose B1 tiamin , by simply sprinkling with bruvers jeast u can ad B1..only thing the leaves get smuggy...
afet a longer period of time nutrieis get lost...
gutload maby ok but for iguana ..as i have a problem ..ufff green dont do well in freezer..

Back
Top Bottom