Fountain pump for mist system??

HiroProtagonist

I'd like to set up a small mist system for two cages right now...and I'd like to do it with a pump rather than hook it up to my water supply. My local water is hard and so I'd rather use spring water in a tub with a pump and timer. Has anyone done this successfully and if so, got any recommendations?

Thanks!

I tried using fountain pumps in the beginning. But they don't give out enough pressure. I thought that the gallons per minute on the fountain pumps would work but what you really should look at is how much pressure it gives out. Go with a shureflow pump or a real misting system. Trust me I just saved you a lot of money and time from the mistakes I made.

Is this something I can get at HomeDePot or would I have to order online? I've seen all the misting attatchments at the store but I don't remember seeing pumps in the same section.

Fountain pumps aren't really designed to handle the significant back pressure created by misting nozzles. They're really only made to push water through a tube that's mostly open with perhaps only a sort of fan spray attachment or other decorative feature. Most of the cheaper ones are really only designed to move water from the reservoir to the top of the fountain.

As you can imagine, water doesn't necessarily like to be sprayed into an ultra fine mist, so you have to use extremely small aperatures. Basically, you have to force water into a hose that only slightly leaks.

Conversely, a fountain pump is designed to push water into a hose that only slightly restricts the output. It may work, but for how long? If you have to buy a $40 pump two or three times, you haven't saved any money but you have dramatically increased the hassles in your life.

You're better off getting something made to do the job and just buying it once.

Back
Top Bottom