Fly me to the moon.......

Boomerang

Just wanted to put it out there that if anyone sees a blonde and 2 blue chams flying through the air on Monday, it's just me and my "crew". Yep, big storm heading my way. Hurricane Isaac. Lucky for me.....(or not), I've been through this PLENTY of times. Not looking forward to all the "hurricane prep work" ahead. :(

On a similar note.....I thought now would be a great time for everyone to help me compile a list of "Hurricane Preparedness" for our chams and other critters. I'm sure that those of us in Florida and other states that are faced with these threats every year will have some great tips. I want to create a list that those of us in need, can resource when threatened with a natural disaster.

Obviously in category 3-5 storms, evacuation is highly likely. This is where it gets trickey. I look forward to what others have done in the past with their chams in lieu of evacuation.

However, once the storm blows over...THE REAL FUN BEGINS!! NO electricity!! Yep!! That's always a real joy in the hot, humid, mosquito infested Florida sun. Not to mention the sweet soothing sounds of hundreds of generators going at all hours. Ahhhhh......Bliss. :p Or, the dreaded "clean up" afterwards. That's always a bonding moment with your loved ones... in the hot sun picking up yard debris. Nothing says I love you more than spending quality time outside covered in sweat, ants and dirt picking up branches from your neighbors trees 2 streets over. Ahhhhh..........Can't wait!!! :D

So, here is a start to the list. Feel free to add to it. I'd like to compile it all together at the end.

1. WATER...WATER..WATER (Make sure you stock up on enough for your family and your chams needs for at least 3 days.)

2. FOOD - Luckily in a hurricane situation we have sufficient warning. It's important to make sure that you will have enough food (live) for your chams that will last at least 3 weeks. Speaking from personal "hurricane experience", one of the biggest problems is lack of electricity. It prevents basic services like snail mail, banking, etc. to be done. This can last weeks sometimes months in the case of Hurricane Andrew. Better to have more than not enough.

Wow! Glad to know that you're getting out early and prepping yourself. I had to evac Houston when Rita came thru. That was a big bust! Everyone was still freaked out from Katrina. We called it our hurri-cation! :D Good luck and I hope you return to everything as you left it! :)

Wow! That sounds scary! We were in an apartment in NYC for Irene a year ago, loads of warnings and scare-mongering but she'd been downgraded to a tropical storm by the time she hit. Sadly I chose that night to try Four Loko for the first time so I have no memory of the hurricane herself and the clean-up effort consisted of my head in the toilet bowl for most of the next day.

Loads of houses in our prospective neighbourhood had their basements flooded though, we were househunting and making sure we didn't pick the houses with too much damp furniture out on the curb.

Putting anything basement-level in tubs can be a good idea for flood-sensitive areas, so keep an eye on stuff you keep down there.

Boomerang:

I just got back last night from a trip to Denver and today, I'm headed out to get more feeders in the preparation mode as well. I'm in Tampa, and share your concerns about Issac! Even though it's small now and looks like it may be vearing a little more West of us, you know too well how un-predictable hurricanes can be!

If we lose power, I have "C" cell batteries for my Habba system, since the MistKing won't be working.

Thank goodness that it is usually sunny after a hurricane passes and my outside enclosure will have to be the light/heat source if we loose power for several days.

Hang in there and best of luck to you and your Chams early next week!

Gary
Tampa, FL

Boomerang:

I just got back last night from a trip to Denver and today, I'm headed out to get more feeders in the preparation mode as well. I'm in Tampa, and share your concerns about Issac! Even though it's small now and looks like it may be vearing a little more West of us, you know too well how un-predictable hurricanes can be!

If we lose power, I have "C" cell batteries for my Habba system, since the MistKing won't be working.

Thank goodness that it is usually sunny after a hurricane passes and my outside enclosure will have to be the light/heat source if we loose power for several days.

Hang in there and best of luck to you and your Chams early next week!

Gary
Tampa, FL

Thanks Gary! Doesn't look like it's going to be too bad......so far that is. We both know how that goes though. :(

Good luck to you!! Be on the lookout for a flying blonde on Monday am. :D

Wow! That sounds scary! We were in an apartment in NYC for Irene a year ago, loads of warnings and scare-mongering but she'd been downgraded to a tropical storm by the time she hit. Sadly I chose that night to try Four Loko for the first time so I have no memory of the hurricane herself and the clean-up effort consisted of my head in the toilet bowl for most of the next day.

Loads of houses in our prospective neighbourhood had their basements flooded though, we were househunting and making sure we didn't pick the houses with too much damp furniture out on the curb.

Putting anything basement-level in tubs can be a good idea for flood-sensitive areas, so keep an eye on stuff you keep down there.

Trillian can knit your little ones nice warm little cham coats :) she's very good!
Anyways I hope everything will be okay in your neck of the woods! I think having a prepardness list for those who have to deal with this is a fantastic idea

Trillian can knit your little ones nice warm little cham coats :) she's very good!
Anyways I hope everything will be okay in your neck of the woods! I think having a prepardness list for those who have to deal with this is a fantastic idea

Thanks! But apparently you and I are the only ones who feel that way. :(

I just hope the storm continues farther West. We'll likely have plenty of rain (like we NEED that, now), but shouldn't get hit too hard.

I'll keep on the lookout for you...although you'll be hard to see with all of these NRC people here in Tampa scurrying around.

Bring your Cham(s) up and we'll have a Hurricane party! I have plenty of crickets and superworms just in case the stores close! :)

Gary
Tampa, FL

Been through three and have come to know that there is alot of hype with these things. Frances, Jean and Wilma were all worse catagories than this one and our damage was minimal. We were without power for 3 weeks from Jean however!!! Wishing you and your chams safety. I am sure you are gonna be fine!!!!

I just hope the storm continues farther West. We'll likely have plenty of rain (like we NEED that, now), but shouldn't get hit too hard.

I'll keep on the lookout for you...although you'll be hard to see with all of these NRC people here in Tampa scurrying around.

Bring your Cham(s) up and we'll have a Hurricane party! I have plenty of crickets and superworms just in case the stores close! :)

Gary
Tampa, FL

Hahaha!! I forgot that the convention was going on up there. Have fun with THAT!! Not! Hopefully Hurricane Isaac will blow away the bad politicians and lobbyists. We could only hope!!! :D

Yeah, I'm hoping that it keeps turning West too. Cross our fingers!!

I have food and water on my list for my chams as well, and figure if I lose power I'll just put them on my lanai. I've got a spray bottle so can use that, and just filled up their 5 gal carboy with fresh water tonight, so I'll be fully stocked. I'm not worried at all about the storm - in fact I have to go to work Mon morning, so get to drive in that weather - my hotel doesn't consider it serious unless it's a hurricane, but they are driving us in shuttles from the parking garage to the hotel entrance. I've got plenty of mealworms and supers, and some waxmoths as well if you need anything. Good luck, but I really don't think it's going to amount to much for us.

My little Sambava baby from Kammers just arrived this Thursday, and now he is about to go thru his 1st hurricane. Living here on an island, there is a lot of preparation. But we are ready and now I can focus on getting some pics of Fred as he marches about exploring his new world.

Been through three and have come to know that there is alot of hype with these things. Frances, Jean and Wilma were all worse catagories than this one and our damage was minimal. We were without power for 3 weeks from Jean however!!! Wishing you and your chams safety. I am sure you are gonna be fine!!!!

Wilma was pretty bad, I'm an hour further south and it hit here hard. I made a lot of money after that hit. Every screen enclosure in my neighborhood came down and I took them out of the pools for some cash :D

Well we are lucky that we don't have hurricane Isaac coming anywhere near us. Will be tracking it and thinking of all you guys. Hope it's over soon.

I'm In clearwater and sticking up. But i'm more worried about the heat that follows no electricity. I sat thought katrina and we were without electricity for 3 weeks It got over 100 in the house . My pygmys chameleons ,frogs and crested geckos like it under 78. My day geckos would love it though.

Back
Top Bottom