fixing dehydration

A shower is good or some nice LONG warm mistings. Also if you can get some Pedialyte down him that's excellent. Feeding hornworms and silkworms help, too.

water water water....

Try dripping water directly on his nose a few times a day (not one drop....drip at least a 1/4 cup or more).

When my first chameleon got dehydrated, I kept a dropper bottle on top of the cage and every time he went to the side of the cage, I showed up and started pushing water through the screen into the cage an inch or so above him. He never failed to drink.

Horn and silk worms helped my guy. I didn't shower him, just took him out and dripped water directly on him. He's a stubborn drink so I still have to do it occasionally.

ooooo.... something I forgot to say: if you are dripping right on the animal, inside the cage (or with him outside the cage) use a RUBBER or PLASTIC dropper. There have been stories of chameleons grabbing the dropper and biting it...you do NOT want your chameleon to bit a glass dropper. If you don't have a plastic dropper, try asking your local pharmacist for a child safe dropper for oral meds....they just might give you one at no charge.

Does anyone have the recent thread where the member improperly gave their Chameleon water? It was very sad, but the post was very helpful. Another member posted a very informative picture and explanation on how to manually hydrate a Chameleon. You have to be VERY careful and let them swallow each drop.

Does anyone have the recent thread where the member improperly gave their Chameleon water? It was very sad, but the post was very helpful. Another member posted a very informative picture and explanation on how to manually hydrate a Chameleon. You have to be VERY careful and let them swallow each drop.

That's why I say "drip on his nose"...let him slurp it in. You should never, ever force water into a chameleon's mouth.

That's why I say "drip on his nose"...let him slurp it in. You should never, ever force water into a chameleon's mouth.

I know. :)

Better safe than sorry. For some reason that story really stuck with me. I'm always afraid someone will read over the "drip on the nose" part. Paranoia I guess..

when I first got my female panther in the mail she was really dehydrated and weak from the heat but I just let her chill out for a bit and constantly had a dripper going for a long time and she drank a lottt haha.. but that's just my experience of what happened... but like others have said warm misting helps...

Back
Top Bottom