Finally, my euphoric montane shed

Zach Valois

It is quite a special feeling sitting in this room.

This was simply made in a few hours by essentially building in styrofoam shed, held together by duct tape and large bolts with washers. Inside is completely sealed with foam expansion, and nearly air tight. I will also install a nice adjustable vent on one side to allow for better temp regulation when I setup more cages. There is a two foot drape of plasic across the inside doorframe to prevent dramatic drafts and loss of humidity when opening the door.

Just hooked up the ultrasonic humidifier, and life is good for the chameleons. Even at the top of the shed, day highs are in the mid 70's (this is constant throughout all seasons), and 55-65 - the night temp being set with a thermostat for variation is needed.
The foggers/humidifiers are set on timers and go off in the early morning, mid-day, and early evening. The basking lights are on for roughly a nine hour period, following the UV lights in the morning (also on timers) and a few hours before the UV lights shutoff in the evening. All variables are highly controllable in this shed, and this setup would be more than wonderful for anyone restricted by uncontrollable variables (i.e. night temp drops, day highs, humidity, etc).

Two more rows will be setup in this room, and possibly a stack at the right end of the walkway (for produced hatching's*).

I will eventually be adding a few pairs of K. fischeri/multituberculatum, and a few pairs of either T. cristatus, or C. quadricornus - or likely both.

I see no reason why these other montane species would not thrive and reproduce in this setup.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks to everyone for the help in getting me up and running with serious cham work!

Chamshots10-27-09001.jpg

Chamshots10-27-09006.jpg

I originally had all these guys in an 85 degree snake room. Lost some (they were imports and "captive bred"), thought I was gonna lose some of these too. But they couldn't be doing better now.

Chamshots10-27-09050.jpg

Tjcomplexframe.jpg

Nevermind some of the poor looking plants, had some dieoff in my S. arboricola in the other room. I plan on replacing the plants in most of these cages. Haven't decided what yet, but I would like to try something other than this species of plant.

I might also change the wood types too. I would like something a little more natural and appropriate looking.

Looks pretty cool. How is it being cooled??

It is in an unfinished section of my basement. That being the case, the basement stays 58-65 year round with no real fluctuation.

I also use a cool mist humidifier that can affect the temperature approx. 6-8 degrees.

Temp balance is maintained via these numerous methods and adjustable vents.

Back
Top Bottom