Finally a cheap and awesome drip and misting system

Nicklaus

After searching for countless hours on how to make a cheap and efficient automated homemade drip/misting system for chameleon cages i finally decided to make one my self and after a few prototypes have made an awesome one. I simply used an air pump from one of those 15.00 dollar kid aquariums from walmart and an 8' ft surgical tubing hose. Simply get a bucket of water such as a five gallon bucket (less than 5.00 dollars at lowes) and drop the air pump into it. With the surgical tubing connected connect it to your cage or cages in the area that you want it to drip. Clamp the end shut so that it will create a slight pressure in the tube when its on so that it forces drips or mist out. Then cut small X shaped cuts in the tube at 1/2 to 1 inch intervals and then add an automated power strip that can be programmed for 30 sec - 3 min intervals up to 6 times a day and there you go an automated drip system that costs less than 30.00 dollars. To make a mist and drip system go to lowes and buy a misting line that it the same thickness as the surgical tubing and connect that in place of the tubing. The misting tube comes with built in misters which will mist up to two maybe three tanks. If you want it to drip as well make a few X cuts in it as well.

List:
-1 air pump from a kids aquarium set up
- 1 (at least 5' ft) surgical tubing or aquarium bubbling tube
- 1 pack of zip ties to strap it to the cage and to pinch the end closed
- 1 container/bucket of some type to submerge the air pump
- 1 small clamp if you got big zip ties for the end of the tubing
- 1 misting hose with no more than 3-4 misting heads if you want to make it mist and drip
- 1 automated timer if you want it to be hands free
All of this is very cheap except the timer and is a perfect solution for the problem.

So you have tried this? Didn't the air pump short out when dropped in the water? They are not sealed units.

Carl

Buying the Mist king's pump is a good idea, but everything else you can buy a whole lot cheaper from some outer online source.

I'd like to see pictures of the dropper you made. I've been interesting in making my own as well.

Buying the Mist king's pump is a good idea, but everything else you can buy a whole lot cheaper from some outer online source.

i really don't think MistKings and other automatic misting systems are a necessity for some set ups. for one to maybe two basic set ups, im sure you can get away with a homemade set up. the point is just having something automatic for misting right?

I do agree however, MistKing is deffinately the way to go for top notch hobbiest and multiple set ups, it deffinately has the reputation, durability and power to mist your whole friggen house down lol.

i forget who it was, but one of our members signature was "when you're broke, you get creative" lol that has always stuck with me, and you can for sure make do with homemades' to a certain extent. jmo

So you have tried this? Didn't the air pump short out when dropped in the water? They are not sealed units.

Carl

That's what i was wondering... it may work at first, but how long would it hold up? Also, it's takes a lot more work to move water than air because of the density. Doesn't seem like you would get enough force from an air pump to push the water from your water resevoir, which is most likely below your cage, to the top of the cage. Even if it does make it, seems like it would be quite a weak stream. Why not buy a water pump that's designed to move water? They're a little more, but I imagine it would hold up & function 100x better.

Also, have you thought about the possibility of ELECTRIFYING the water & your poor chameleon... possibly yourself??? Always a thought to consider when dropping something that's running 120 volts, not meant to be thrown in water, in water.

I would like to see pics as well.

they do work: this video has been posted a few times.

The pump used in that video is not a air pump. It is a maxi jet pump. They are aquarium powerheads. They have a sealed case and are ment to be in the water.
The pump used for the humidifier was an air pump but it was not in the water.

Carl

Last edited:
Reply to dripper

This one is a closed unit completely submerged in water and runs fine. No electric shock and completely separated from cages (just in case) its one of the tiny air pumps works great no problems. I will post pictures tomorrow. Cheap and efficient.

yes i have run it for a long time now with no problems at all instead of pushing air through it forces both water and a little air through .

This one is a closed unit completely submerged in water and runs fine. No electric shock and completely separated from cages (just in case) its one of the tiny air pumps works great no problems. I will post pictures tomorrow. Cheap and efficient.

what is the name and brand of this air pump, i didnt know you could put an air pump into water. If its also to much might i ask for a video of this system working?

That's what i was wondering... it may work at first, but how long would it hold up?

I've been running a average quality pond pump as my pump for my computers watercooling setup for about 9 months or so now.
Holding up perfectly while being on 24/7. It's never off.

I would assume if you only use it 3-5 times a day for a few minutes that you would never have troubles.

After searching for countless hours on how to make a cheap and efficient automated homemade drip/misting system for chameleon cages i finally decided to make one my self and after a few prototypes have made an awesome one. I simply used an air pump from one of those 15.00 dollar kid aquariums from walmart and an 8' ft surgical tubing hose. Simply get a bucket of water such as a five gallon bucket (less than 5.00 dollars at lowes) and drop the air pump into it. With the surgical tubing connected connect it to your cage or cages in the area that you want it to drip. Clamp the end shut so that it will create a slight pressure in the tube when its on so that it forces drips or mist out. Then cut small X shaped cuts in the tube at 1/2 to 1 inch intervals and then add an automated power strip that can be programmed for 30 sec - 3 min intervals up to 6 times a day and there you go an automated drip system that costs less than 30.00 dollars. To make a mist and drip system go to lowes and buy a misting line that it the same thickness as the surgical tubing and connect that in place of the tubing. The misting tube comes with built in misters which will mist up to two maybe three tanks. If you want it to drip as well make a few X cuts in it as well.

List:
-1 air pump from a kids aquarium set up
- 1 (at least 5' ft) surgical tubing or aquarium bubbling tube
- 1 pack of zip ties to strap it to the cage and to pinch the end closed
- 1 container/bucket of some type to submerge the air pump
- 1 small clamp if you got big zip ties for the end of the tubing
- 1 misting hose with no more than 3-4 misting heads if you want to make it mist and drip
- 1 automated timer if you want it to be hands free
All of this is very cheap except the timer and is a perfect solution for the problem.

Recently i bought a low pressure patio mister kit at just $74.00 . It really works so well.
misting systems are available at affordable prices. High pressure, low pressure, Mid pressure misting systems are available at wide ranges. depending on the need you can choose any. High quality misting systems will last for more years.

I would recommend to make use of these affordable misting systems
http://mistingsystems.net/

It is not an air pump! It is a power head, meant to be in water. If you use an air pump you will shock yourself pretty bad. You need to check your facts before telling someone to do something. Water mixed with electricity is a potential for a very bad shock and possibly death.

Back
Top Bottom