Female Veiled Help

millsamus

My Female Veiled is constantly running around the cage top and sides. Basicly hanging on the top as if she wants out..... but never allows me to get her unless I trick her with food (the bait)
:confused:

She does not look big enough to be have eggs and shes not even a year old yet! Last month I have noticed a lot of yellow shade's on her skin. Is this due to ovulation/ or normal growth. I always thought female Veils would be pure green.

What age are they likely to lay eggs? I have also heard they lay in the summer time naturally. Its cold here in Ohio so Its not that.

Never thought a chameleon would MOVE around as much as mine does!

Pic attach below!

Might I also add that I have a huge cage for this 5 month old (estimated) chameleon. Its a 24''x24''x48'' cage.

A10_3875.jpg

downsize.jpg

how much plant life do you have in the cage?
and she can lay eggs as early as 6 months old.
the yellow is jsut natural color development. females are rarely just grene, they normally have some yellow and blue dots.
and they can lay eggs whenever, another members female veiled jsut laid a couple days ago!

Arbacola Plant on the bottom is gone right now since it was being over watered. ( plant on the bottom) So I have a low devils Ivy place of it. Shes crawling like she was in this pic :p Not a current pic, this was from at least 2 months ago.

What do you have? I wish I had a male, less maintenance and males look much cooler.

Pic 1 --->>

Pic 2 ---->> added more branches

A10_2844.jpg

A10_2845.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 11 month old male veiled and a 10 month old Male Hoehnelli. :D
I think she just needs more foliage in the top part of her cage to make her feel safer.

I also would look into putting a laying bucket in her cage.

Thank you for the input! I am trying to keep it all real plants and not very cluttered, as she will get bigger in time. Hard finding good tank setups. Got a shot of yours?! Maybe a few hanging plants on the sides for coverage.

WOW I just googled male Hoehnelli and Oh my gosh! Looks amazing!! Picture please!!!! What I need is a pigmy cham, something I can keep in a glass tank. I have a lot of those hanging around.

**** Give me good rep if you like my cage setup**** Thanks! :)

Thank you for the input! I am trying to keep it all real plants and not very cluttered, as she will get bigger in time. Hard finding good tank setups. Got a shot of yours?! Maybe a few hanging plants on the sides for coverage.

WOW I just googled male Hoehnelli and Oh my gosh! Looks amazing!! Picture please!!!! What I need is a pigmy cham, something I can keep in a glass tank. I have a lot of those hanging around.

**** Give me good rep if you like my cage setup**** Thanks! :)

Very Welcome!
There are no pygmies available from anybody right now sorry to say.
I actually free range..... so no cage haha
but here are my two boys.
View attachment 47979

View attachment 47980

Last edited:
females yellowspots are normal, if she gets eggs she will look really fat and chunky in the back half. also when its getting closer to laying. She will start to show Dark colors(almost black) with bright/vivid blues and yellows.
hope this helps some
i just recently got my first Female cham and had to learn all this too. and i know my girl has eggs, i can see the lumpy lumps on her abdomen now

I considered free range but Not sure how safe it would be? My cham climbs everywhere! How could I (Cage up) a free range just for safety. I dont want to step on my baby!

Again with the setups..... I don't seem to find very many pictures of free ranges. I am still learning!

Thank you for showing off your boys! I want a male Hoehnelli now!

Very Welcome!
There are no pygmies available from anybody right now sorry to say.
I actually free range..... so no cage haha
but here are my two boys.
View attachment 47979

View attachment 47980

I considered free range but Not sure how safe it would be? My cham climbs everywhere! How could I (Cage up) a free range just for safety. I dont want to step on my baby!

Again with the setups..... I don't seem to find very many pictures of free ranges. I am still learning!

Welll... Kermit the hoehnelli is being bred this coming summer.
so is kink the veiled.... i can put you on the waiting list for a male.
but also, the females look the same way.
find okiroo's albums. she has a female, and thats who im breeding my male too.
not to mention, the hoehnellies are live bearers, so you don thave to deal with eggs with the female species.

I can take a pic of my free range in a few.
and what you do is make sure that they can only stay on their plants.

I can take a pic of my free range in a few.
and what you do is make sure that they can only stay on their plants.

What about the people that cant be at home all day to make sure there chameleon does not get off the plants!?

I didn't think chameleons gave live birth until my friend came home with an unhappy female panther. Turns out she was pregnant!! Live birth!

I am an amateur photographer so getting a chameleon was a HUGE consideration for many years. Finally bit the bullet and got one once I was ready for it!

Any cham other then the Veiled looks so much more impressive! Being a first owner I am took things slow and I am making sure I keep the responsibility. So I over do all the care! All the cage setups were lacking interest and exotic / tropical look. Most people have 1 plant in the cage, boring.

I would be grateful for free range examples thanks!

What about the people that cant be at home all day to make sure there chameleon does not get off the plants!?

I didn't think chameleons gave live birth until my friend came home with an unhappy female panther. Turns out she was pregnant!! Live birth!

I am an amateur photographer so getting a chameleon was a HUGE consideration for many years. Finally bit the bullet and got one once I was ready for it!

Any cham other then the Veiled looks so much more impressive! Being a first owner I am took things slow and I am making sure I keep the responsibility. So I over do all the care! All the cage setups were lacking interest and exotic / tropical look. Most people have 1 plant in the cage, boring.

I would be grateful for free range examples thanks!

panthers dont give live birth. they lay eggs too.
kink stays on his plants most of the time.
once in a while he wanders off, but hes big enough that i can find him fairly quickly. sometimes he goes to visit kermit (who is caged)
if you provide enough plants, lights and food, they shouldnt wander much. but you also just make sure that if they do wander that thye are in a safe place. my guys have a room to themselves. (well the ferret i sin there too)
i keep the door closed so no matter waht, he can only be in a few places.

panther care is essentially the same as a veiled. Hoehnelli chameleons require more water (like double that of a veiled) and lower temperatures. but other than that, hes easy. and he only gets supplemented 1-2 times a week, instead of a dusting every feeding for the veiled.

Is this not a panther? Must be a Jackson's then..... I must have gotten confused. This was the mother of the "live " birth chams my friend had.

What I need is a chameleon what fits in a 20 gallon fish tank! That way I can keep it super humid!!

zzz.jpg

my female hoe(chloe)-
full

my female veiled who layed yesterday(clair)-
full

my male pygmy spectrum(jack)-
full

freerange for clair and chloe-
full

jacks cage-
full

i thought you might want to see these pics. my FR has been updated sence this and looks a little better. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno what that is, but it is def not a female panther.
it doesnt quite look like a jackson either...
start a new thread, and post pictures of that chameleon. so someoen can id it.
title it ID this Cham and people will respond.

pygmies are the only chams that can go in that cage, but their are none for sale anywhere right now.

Thank you that gives me a better idea! Space looks smaller then I would expect for free range. Love the enclosed glass cage! Bet that would make a wonderful poison dart frog tank environment!

What do pygmy spectrum chams cost? and there full size compared to others? Small I know but adult size I don't know.

Thank you that gives me a better idea! Space looks smaller then I would expect for free range. Love the enclosed glass cage! Bet that would make a wonderful poison dart frog tank environment!

What do pygmy spectrum chams cost? and there full size compared to others? Small I know but adult size I don't know.

i had a few more plants, that were double that size, width wise, but they died. so ineed to replace just dont have any available to buy right now.

pygmies can be around 20-50 bucks normally.
and fully grown, maybe 5 inches.
but females are hard to keep alive. they stress sooo easily.

its not really a small space for a FR. picturers are hard with FRs because you can see three of my trees and than i have two more in other places in my room. pygmy spectrums vary. FL chams sells them for 50$ and than 50$ more for shipping. i got mine for 30$ at a show tho. he looked like he was gunna die...i wuddnt take that risk if i were you.

its not really a small space for a FR. picturers are hard with FRs because you can see three of my trees and than i have two more in other places in my room. pygmy spectrums vary. FL chams sells them for 50$ and than 50$ more for shipping. i got mine for 30$ at a show tho. he looked like he was gunna die...i wuddnt take that risk if i were you.

hey do you know what that cham species is? posted up,

Back
Top Bottom