Female Veiled Egg Laying

Mellen

Hey Everyone!

I am totally new to this site and how everything works, but I have read through a few threads and like what I have seen so far. I am in need of some advice and opinions concerning my female veiled chameleon. I purchased her about 2 months ago and she has been happy and healthy ever since (i think she is around 6 months old). All of a sudden she started changing colors to display black blotches, mustard colored stripes, and of course the blue oval dots. I am sure that this means she is going to lay eggs soon, but I just wanted to make sure that I have everything set up properly so that things will go smoothly for her. She is in an 18"Lx18"Wx38"H screened enclosure with the proper lighting, temps (90 at the top and close to 70 near the bottom), and is fed gut loaded crickets, meal worms, and a variety of greens and such. I placed a large bin (12"Wx14"Lx10"H) in her enclosure with moist EcoEarth for her to lay her eggs. She is constantly scrambling around her cage pacing up, down, back, and forth, But has not started digging yet.. Do I need a larger nesting site? or need to change anything in order to better facilitate her egg laying? I just do not want her to become egg bound and die. Also, should her nesting spot be shaded or in the light? note*she has not been bred, so these are obviously infertile eggs.

Any advice, opinions, or info would be greatly appreciated!

-Thanks!

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 2,373
  • download3.jpg
    download3.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 593
  • download2.jpg
    download2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 744
  • download1.jpg
    download1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 520
  • cagesetup.jpg
    cagesetup.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 483
I agree 90 is way too hot. I'm attaching my egg laying/laying bin blog for you below and also my blog for general care. There's a section for the female and a special link for females.....be sure to check that out.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Wow!!! Oh My Goodness!!! thank you so much for posting these blogs as well as threads that lead form one thread to another!!!! I have spent the last 3 hours reading on to another... I had No Idea that they laid so may eggs and that it too sooooo long before eggs are ready to hatch!!! Breeding is really not for someone who wants to just put two chameleons together... they better plan on alot of research, time and money to invest in their care!

Again I just want to say thank you for all the accurate information I have been reading in this forum!!

Forgive me for I broke my glasses :(

Is there a vine for her to get in and out of the bin I can not tell.

I made the starter hole and then put Lily in her bin. Of course she climbed out but she now knew how to get in.

I also covered the bottom 3/4 of her cage so she could not see anything in the room.

after 2 days of me being a wreck, I heard digging :)

she did use the hole I provided except made it bigger and deeper to her liking:D

Thanks for the info. I am still a little confused about only using a UVB bulb though.. I thought they needed both UVA and UVB? In the links you sent it said to use a fluorescent tube light.. along with the UVB.. does that mean that the fluorescent has UVA light in it? sorry if this sounds ignorant of me, I am just not very familiar with lighting and the delicate nature of everything.

It has been 2 days now and my cham is still searching her cage, she has not started digging yet which kind of worries me.. is EcoEarth an ok substrate to use? and should I be alarmed that she has not started digging.. cause its really starting to worry me..

Same here on day 2 of pacing and scratching but no digging made a few holes she goes to em each had a lil dig n goes back to her bushes that I put in the layin bin like she goin to sleep them goes back n repeats ?!? Starting worry me now that she don't know how to dig n lay n may be her first time n might been eggbound before got her as she meant to already be 1.5 to 2 years old as her previous carer got second hand too so no exact age just rough so sh must av laid before or be seriously eggbound they shud be fertile to as i let me old boy n her spend the night together to make the eggs hope they did do it... N hope she is ok n makes it thru this...

Back
Top Bottom