Female Pnther "Cycle"

KevinA

Avid Member
Hi,
I appreciate the help in advance!

My concern- I bred one of my female panthers on 3/10/2008, she laid on 04/12/2008. She is currently showing receptive and is plump (might not be as plump as last time, but she laid 37+ eggs). I introduced my male to her (let him crawl on her enclosure and she showed receptive with no stress colors even with the head bobbing). Is this too soon after a clutch to breed her again?

Normally, if they are going to produce a second clutch do they retain gravid colors?

Any people with experience, I appreciate your help as will my female!

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,
If it were me and the first clutch was laid on 4/12 and is receptive, I would put them together one more time to ensure the next clutch is nice and fertile. If she just laid the retained clutch, or has already laid more that one clutch this year, I would consider cooling her down and giving her a break, so it isn't too much on her. I would not say it is too soon at all.
Our female Sarabi laid on 3/30 and showed receptivity toward our male mid/early april and laid again 5/14...The retained time frame is usually about a month, so it seems to me if she was going to lay another one she'd be getting ready to do it and wouldn't be receptive. So I'd say if she is receptive then she shouldn't be laying anytime soon.
Anyways that's just my 2 cents :D

I would agree with lbesok. I have 1 pair of panthers and what it seems to me is there is a time frame of being receptive and laying the retained clutch. My female seems to lay retained clutches 1-2 months after being bred. Usually 1 month and a week or 2 after. I also niticed the last time she laid she showed what seemed to be receptive colors the whole time untill I put her infront of my male. She stayed looking receptive through the head bobbing only untill he started to advance and she got pissed. Shortly after she looked receptive again and a week after that laid. Just be sure to keep a laying bin in for her at all times and you wont have to worry about when the need for it comes and you cant tell from her looks. I would also cut her feeding back too if you already havent so when she lays it is less taxing on her. I think around 24 eggs are normal. Again I only have 1 pair but this is what I have seen and advice others have given me. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom