Female Panther digging...

BMXICAN

So today I come home and can't find Purps. She's gone! I thought someone stole her because she was outside in her sunning cage and I left for an hour to get some car tools. Anyway, I found her in her plant, digging in the pot. I assume she is laying eggs. She had been a bit chubby lately and her appetite decreased and she showed no signs of interest for my male.

Anyway, she is still at the bottom of the pot. I'm just giving her privacy for now. I need to go get some vermiculite for the eggs.

How can I tell if they are fertile or not? She hasn't been breed for some time now so I'm assuming they are infertile. What temps. are good for incubation? I have a mini fridge that gets hot or cold with a digital temperature gauge on it so I can make it any temp. Thanks!

Update!

So check it. Here are some pictures. After about 6 hours or so, Purps finally finished. Dirty and tired, she emerged from the bottom of the pot. Little biotch can dig! She dug all the way to the bottom of the plant, in between the root system. I carefully uncovered (and tried to keep in their original position as much as possible) 34 eggs! :eek:

Not sure if they are fertile or not. I tried to breed Nemo with her and they spent quite some time together. Not sure if he ever got a "full mount" or not, it seemed like Purps wouldn't deny him but she would always try to move away, while still showing receptive colors and not gaping at all. She actually only started being territorial towards Nemo in the last few weeks, actually showing her dark purples and light pinks and gaping at him.

Anyway, pictures are worth a million words!

Digging them out of her umbrella tree...

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01693.jpg

Tired and dirty after a long day... much thinner too!

DSC01696.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

34 healthy looking eggs!

DSC01700.jpg

34 eggs in vermiculite, ready to go into the incubator at 68°.

DSC01704.jpg

I also had to sneak a picture of Nemo while he was sleeping, to cute to pass! :)

DSC01703.jpg

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions? Anything is appreciated. Thanks guys!

I love the 3rd photo of your girl sleeping....what a sweetie!!

If they are fertile u are going to have some gorgeous little ones :)

34 WOW!!! That is a very large clutch. Looks like she dug right through those roots, she is a back ho:rolleyes: The eggs look good to me. You will know in a short while if they are. All of the infertiles Ive gotten shrivle up in around 2 or so weeks later. How could you not tell she had eggs? She had to be huge! After feeding her well for a few days I would cut her food intake down. My girl usually lays around 18-26 which is a good sized clutch.

Your girl was probably trying to get the male in the right position when she was walking away from him calmly. It seems the males dont really know what to do hahahaa. How long did you keep them together. I let mine mate for a couple hours then take the female out. Show her to the male a few days later and she is usually not happy to see him.

I hope they are fertile and glad your woman got the job done when needed.

34 WOW!!! That is a very large clutch. Looks like she dug right through those roots, she is a back ho:rolleyes: The eggs look good to me. You will know in a short while if they are. All of the infertiles Ive gotten shrivle up in around 2 or so weeks later. How could you not tell she had eggs? She had to be huge! After feeding her well for a few days I would cut her food intake down. My girl usually lays around 18-26 which is a good sized clutch.

Your girl was probably trying to get the male in the right position when she was walking away from him calmly. It seems the males dont really know what to do hahahaa. How long did you keep them together. I let mine mate for a couple hours then take the female out. Show her to the male a few days later and she is usually not happy to see him.

I hope they are fertile and glad your woman got the job done when needed.

I kept them together for a day or so. Introduced them again a few days later. Then after awhile she would just deny him. I figured they weren't fertile because I never saw Nemo's hemipenis go inside of her.

I saw him copulate with Dory (my female panther who dies, R.I.P.) and he looked like he knew totally what was up. He is a a stud with the ladies, bobbing his head all crazy and chasing them down to the end. ;)

Guess the only way to know for sure will be in a few weeks. I put the lid on the Glad ware containers, but left a corner open for airflow. Here is a picture:

1-08-09eggsat68degrees.jpg

I hope this works. Hope the vermiculite isn't too wet. It's moist but not soupy or anything. My chameleon book (I checked a few) said to incubate eggs at 28°C (86°F aprox. !!! ). I'm starting at 68° and was slowly going to raise it until about 75°. Any tips? Thanks!

PS: Nice pun on the construction equipment!!!

Nice male!

What morph is that male in the photo? You eggs look great, nice incubator aswell, here in South Africa those incubators are very pricey so we do with what we have. :(

What morph is that male in the photo? You eggs look great, nice incubator aswell, here in South Africa those incubators are very pricey so we do with what we have. :(

Yeah, that "incubator" (actually a wine chiller/food warmer) ran me twice as much as a normal Hobivator, but it's pretty much dummy proof. Just set the temp and go! Just have to watch out for the vermiculite or whatever medium you use.

The male in the photo (althought I have no proof of lineage or anything) is a Ambilobe crossed with a Sambava. Or so I was told...

Update!

Man, she drank water for a little, not as much as expected. Then she ate ONE superworm voraciously, sunbathed a little then went back to digging at the bottom again.

Anyway she could still be retaining some eggs? After 34 I figured she was done! :eek: I'll keep you guys posted...

When Lily laid her first clutch on 23rd Dec, she too went back down and carried on digging the next morning (less than 12 hours after she'd finished laying). It wasn't until I removed the laying box and emptied it of eggs that she went back to her normal behaviour.

Maybe they can smell the eggs and you missed some in the plant pot? Just my thoughts, as it was too much of a coincidence that as soon as the eggs were removed Lily went right back to normal and hasn't been back down to the bottom of her cage since.

When Lily laid her first clutch on 23rd Dec, she too went back down and carried on digging the next morning (less than 12 hours after she'd finished laying). It wasn't until I removed the laying box and emptied it of eggs that she went back to her normal behaviour.

Maybe they can smell the eggs and you missed some in the plant pot? Just my thoughts, as it was too much of a coincidence that as soon as the eggs were removed Lily went right back to normal and hasn't been back down to the bottom of her cage since.

Who knows? She seems to be going back to normal. I've seen her dig two or three times more, but never digs much. Today she just basked all day, hated me every time I misted her and kept her one eye closed (left one). Seems she has dirt in her eye or something. She also has some black bruising on her elbows and snout, most likely from digging. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom