Female Chameleon eating playsand in laying bin!!

Supergirl

I am freaking out..... I just put a laying bin in my 4 month old Veiled's enclosure... she immediately went down to inspect it, or so I thought... all of the sudden she flings her tongue and starts eating it! Now she's in the bin, on the sand eating by the mouthful.. What do I do?????? Do I take her out????? Do I remove the bin??????? HELP!!!

I would take it out. I have to ask, why have you put a laying bin in when she is only 4 months old?

I would take it out. I have to ask, why have you put a laying bin in when she is only 4 months old?
I'm not 100% sure how old she is, don't have a hatch day on her since I got her at a reptile show. Have had her since July. Based on her size when I got her I was estimating she was about a month old... but she could've been older. I saw her walking on the cage floor this morning, I thought she was possibly looking for a place to lay. She's pretty chunky so I thought I'd put a bin in just in case.. didn't want to risk her being egg bound. She's very healthy, energetic, great appetite, normal poop/urate, so seeing her roaming around the cage floor made me think it was time for laying bin.

Can you post a picture of her? I think that 4 months is a little young to be gravid and so I'm going to assume shes just exlporing.

Here she is... wasn't too thrilled with me or the camera lol.

Attachments

• 2011-10-26 18.56.21.jpg
    2011-10-26 18.56.21.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 2011-10-26 18.50.35.jpg
    2011-10-26 18.50.35.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 86
She looks plump alright but I don't think shes gravid. If it makes you feel better try mixing the sand with dirt and see if that stops her from wanting to munch on it.

I could be very well wrong but she is not displaying the colors my Lily was when she was gravid.
Wait to see what others think and in the mean time if she is still eating the sand take it out. A few hours without it will not cause harm but a few more hours of eating just might.

Thanks for the replies! I removed the bin.. she seems to be doing fine so far, eating crickets n drinking water. I will keep an eye out for her poop tomorrow morning just to make sure theres no issue with impaction.

Back
Top Bottom