feeling helpless

DrewNYC

i am feeling helpless, i have a wc giant fishers female who started to dig 2 days ago in her egg bucket, she didn't lay and i found her on her cage floor so i figured i would do the best thing and move her to a giant garbage pail set up incase she was picky. i moved her yesterday morning and she went down and dug once but since abandoned her efforts. she since has been on a perch all day and seems to be tiresome from her prior digging. i am concerned she will become egg bound and die, she has not eaten in a week and seems to be getting weaker. i have showered her today and returned her to the garbage pail set up. she was very strong up to starting to dig 2 days ago
i guess i can only wait and see what tomorrow brings?? any suggestions would be helpful.

i got her in the fall of last year, she was a great eater and drinker, crickets, roaches, silky's, horn's, etc. she was also very shy. she seemed to acclimate well, actually better than the male.
drew

All you can do is just leave here alone.
I wouldnt check on her unless it was once every couple of hours.
She will abandon her nest if she see you.
The only other thing you can do is take her to a vet to give her a shot to induce labor.

What kind of substrate are you using for her to lay in? Try a 1/2 play sand (found at home depot or ace hardware) and 1/2 organic potting soil. Mix it together well and then mist it down. Try not to go in and bother her at all, many times if they start to dig and they see anything (you or another animal) they will not continue. But, this mixture I have found to be the best.

-chris

Are you letting her see you watching her while she is digging? It makes them abandon the hole and can lead to eggbinding if it happens too often.

What are you giving her in the way of supplements? (Please be specific...brands, how often, etc.)

What do you gutload with?

What is the temperature in the basking area?

You didn't mention this, but whileshe dug if she hit one of the sides of the container, or bottomed out, she might abandon the site.
I have this problem with Panthers sometimes, my solution is to remove them for a day, and try again with something new added to the area to make her feel she hasn't been there yet. A rock in a a trash can worked for me after a very difficult week of exactly what you are going through.

well ht eonly thing that has changed is she is starting to appear dehydrated, her eyes are sinking in
most of my chameleons are montane species so i keep the less is more attitude since they are very sensitive to supplementing
i use
monday repcal w D3
wednesday repcal w/o
friday repcal w/o
every other sat herpivite
ambient 70-75 deg nighttime drop to 60 deg
basking 82-88
crickets and roaches get there gutload from cricket food.com
veggies are kale, squash, romain, butternut squash, carrots
she liked silky's and horn's but mostly crickets

i give my chameleons alot of privacy, i have a chameleon room so no other people or animals enter EVER!! only me in the morning and evening, i work all day.
i was around on saturday and cleaning cages, so i peeked once or twice, i did see she dug in a bucket in her enclosure but then was walking around the cage floor (large screened enclosure) i put her in the garbage pale with 1 hibiscus and a dracus, vines, basking lite and 10.0 tube flourescent, i saw her in the soil mixture but since nothing and like i said she seems to be getting worse, i have been trying to hydrate her but it does not seem to be working. she is a WC i bought her from mike a fl chams in the fall. the male is doing fine, i do not like buying WC, i can see their tenseness in being caged, so i gave him a large enclosure also
i feel so helpless!!!!!!!
drew

Back
Top Bottom