Eyes Are Closed!

ThisNewCham

My chams eyes are closed. What do I do? Why are they closed? I'm very worried.

How do you feed them when they're eyes are closed?

Edit: Only ONE eye is closed.

Last edited:
Going through past posts it seems as if he may be dehydrated. When did he last eat? Does his poop/urates have a yellow/orange tinge to it? What are your temps?

Going through past posts it seems as if he may be dehydrated. When did he last eat? Does his poop/urates have a yellow/orange tinge to it? What are your temps?

There is a bit of orange, yes.

Humidity: 45%
Basking temperature: 35C (95F)

It has been super hot and super humid here the past few days. It's gone up to 38C (100.4F) with 61% humidity and higher. Today it's 38C (100.4F) and 66% humidity. His basking temp obviously goes up with the heat rise in the atmosphere, so I don't really know how to get it down.

I've been running his dripper as normal (about 30 minutes 3 times a day) and misting regularily.

Vieleds can be a pain to get to drink. Mist him for about 5 minutes each time with warm water. I never drip them, but that is entirely up to you. Lower temps to 90 F to help with the dehydration. How do his eyes look? How old is he?

He's about a year. Maybe a lilttle less. The petstore just gave us an estimate (go figure).

To cool him down, what do you suggest I do? I do mist with warm water for five minutes, it gets the leaves all nice and dripping.

His eyes might be just a tad sunken today, I assume the hot weather is draining him. I can't really tell, as he is my first cham, but they do look a little less bulgey today.

You can turn off his basking light if the temps are that high. I am assuming you do not have air conditioning?

I do
I just turned it on for a good 2 hours to try and cool down the room the cham is in.

The temp in here is down now, which is good...and it's good to knwo i can turn off his basking lamp.\

He appears to be sleeping, but his colour is his "awake colour." He normally turns very green when he sleeps, but now he's in sleeping position, which his eyes closed, but I can easily wake him.

I'm so worried

Last edited:
Have you tried to shower him? That is probably the best way to rehydrate him. Use warm water and keep him in there for at least 30-45 min. My veileds will sit there for 10 min before they even start drinking. It just got really hot here too and i have been misting them more often and even shutting there basking lite off at noon for an hour, it's been brutal. It went from 60-93, i can't take it and i'm not under a lite all day. What is his temps on the bottom on the cage? Try the shower method and let us know how he does.

Debby

Back
Top Bottom