Eye problem! Need some help please!

Nosaj

Hello everyone! Today my female ambilobe panther chameleon is turning 6 months old. She has 1 eye closed which if she opens it would be for a short period of time. No puss or absess is coming out from it, she moves it and I find her ocassionally trying to clean it out (rubbing against her vines) often. I took her to the vet yesterday which he gave some antibotic cream but really did not find the cause and basicly said if shes eating and drinking water shes ok. (In other words if she looses her eye she will survive). Im not ok with this so I am determined to find her a solution to save her eye. This is my first option!! Chameleon lovers I need your experince and knowledge here please!

They did a fecal and came out negative, vet did not see any abrasion in the eye which would indicate a scratch or anything like that.

In my opinion I think she has something inside her eye thats bothering her. Could it be something else? She has been like this for over a month now. I am growing concerned for her. She hunts, drinks water, active, all very well... At the time of hunting though I see her try to use the injured eye and then closes it as if it hurts. Other times she will use it catch the prey then close it again.

If it is that something is inside the eye I have read articles saying showering for 20-30 mins... (which I have planned to try tomorrow) Anything else that would help?

Any other opinions as what it could be? Thank you and sincerley appreciate your input!!

(I have searched for threads with a similar situation but honestly I have not hit the jack pot, if there does exist such a thread I apologize and hope you can direct me to it with the link)!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Female Panther Chameleon. Born 12-12-12. Shes been with me since 3-12-13.*
Handling - once or twice a week for less than 10 mins.
Feeding - gutloaded crickets, (home made ingredients, which includes: romain lettuce, red lettuce, collard greens, carrots, apples, oats, yam, pears & orange).*
Super worms that eat oatmeat and carrots. Pheonix*worms & butter worms.*
Supplements - Reptivite w d3 3 times a week. Herptivite multivitamin once every 2 weeks. Calcium by itself once a week. Once a week no supplements in her meal.*She eats everyday about 7-10 crickets, or 5 superworms *(i mix it up) other feeders are treats.*
Watering - just sold my monsoon mister. Now I mist manually 3-4 times daily for about 20-30 seconds all over the cage. (while I get the mistking mister). Yes I have seen her drinking water.
Fecal Description - dark brown fecal mater, some mucous nothing major. With white the white piece of urine. *Yes tested - results negative.
History - she has had this problem for over a month

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Zoo Med repti screen (all screen), 16x16x30*
Lighting - Zoo med 50 watt basking bulb. Zoo Med 5.0 reptisun tube bulb. Both lights on a timer together on 6:45am - off 6:45pm.*
Temperature - basking temp 85 degreees, lower ranges in the mid 70's. Night temps in the lower 70's. Temp measured by petco normal thermometers and basking measured by zoo med digital thermometer.*
Humidity - mist completely, %100 till it goes down to %20 so it could dry out completely then mist again same routine 3-4 times a day. Measured by the normal petco hygrometer.*
Plants - Live and plastic plants. Live plant is a shefflera (umbrella tree)*
Placement - Located in the living room. Yes, not in front but close to an air vent, and yes located by a high traffic area but the side is blocked with a plastic curtain to creat more privacy on the sides as well as to help maintain humidity. I
Th bottom of the cage is about 3 feet about the ground. The top is 30" higher.*
Location - Miami, Florida

Current Problem - One eye closed! She moves it well and occasionally tries to open it but quickly closes it as if it hurts. *:/ help? *

Last edited:
i actually have the same issue going on right now with my chams and im constantly pulling stuff out of there eye, my conclusion is when they shed there eyes some of the skin gets caught under there eyelid, i already had one cham go blind because of this and another that every day i need to clean his eye and pull out shed, i dont know whats causing it but im going through the same thing "/ what i do is get a qtip thats wet and rub it over the eye and it helps swish whats in it and eventually i can see a piece of skin bairly sticking out and i get some tweezers and pull it out gently i have to do this so much my cham is used to it by now "/ i hope you find a answer so i can too! i would recomend maybe giving it showers everyday its possible it has dirt or skin in its eye like mine and just needs to flush it out

Wow, that must be a mission.... And is that every time they shed that happens to ur cham??
Well for mine I think it might be something inside of my chams eye.. Im really hoping thats the case and tomorrow with the bath that would help her take out the debri by herself.... If this is the case... I homestly dont know... :/

@Carol5208 I think I read about that somewhere... I have some saline drops thats from my 3 yr old daughter ... Would that work without harming the cham?

I have never personally used them(I have not had any eye problems thus far knock on wood) but just what I have learned from other members on here. Yes, plain saline solution. You could try and flush the eye out.

Yes thank God, its not an easy experience.... But I have faith in my cham she will over come this bump on the road! ...
& awesome yea I have read about it as well... I will try some saline after a short bath tomorrow and see what happens. Will note down the out come of her here tomorrow! & Thanks for your input in this! Very much appreciated! ;)

Wow, that must be a mission.... And is that every time they shed that happens to ur cham??
Well for mine I think it might be something inside of my chams eye.. Im really hoping thats the case and tomorrow with the bath that would help her take out the debri by herself.... If this is the case... I homestly dont know... :/

i think so im not sure its only with two of my chams and the owner i bougtht them from his chams do the same thing im thinking it might not be himid enough so im changing there set up hopefully that will help but she should be fine as long as you keep a eye on her i check and clean mine everyday it sucks but it has to be done

Back
Top Bottom