Eye problem, MBD or Just the Eye itchersss

djfishygillz

Avid Member
Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon. Male. 9 months old, in my care 3 months.
* Handling - Every few days to clean eyes with saline solution.
* Feeding - Supers, hornworms, crickets, occasional roach. Probably a little more than I should, I will cut back.
* Supplements - Exoterra brand, calcium every other feeding. Calcium plus d3 twice a month. Vitamin twice a month
* Watering - JUST SET UP A NEW MISTER MOISTURE system, before he was free ranged and drank from mister and dripper
* Fecal Description - Regular looking poop.
* History - I have a ficus plant, but other plants also.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Free range. Mister Moisture misting system.
* Lighting - It was just an Exoterra 125 watt bulb, now its that bulb and a flourencent.
* Temperature - Temps are good
* Humidity - Humidity is good with the plants and the new mister moisture. Before that he had a dripper but I wasn't misting as much as I would have liked
* Plants - One ficus, two pothos
Where is your cage located? It is somewhat near the heat vent, but still atleast 6 feet front it. My cage goes all the way to the ceiling with good supports and he feels safe up there and has an awesome grip and good muscles.
* Location - Nor Cal
Current Problem -

So I looked at the picture posted by Brad about MBD. The main question I have is can Panther Chameleons Eyes get "a little" bumped if they are dehydrated? Because I just got the ideal misting system. Before I was scared he may not be getting proper water.

His eyes and body in no way resemble the pictures posted by Brad of MBD. I just need to know if the minor eye bumps could be caused from Ficus plant irritation, eye scratching, and not having great amount of humidity.

I have now started cleaning off the ficus plant better, rinsing his eyes with saline solution, and have a kickass new mist system. I just need to know if the listed above could cause very small eye swelling.

pictures

picturesssssss

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 168586_1778374587045_1469813455_31898108_5940319_n.jpg
    168586_1778374587045_1469813455_31898108_5940319_n.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 151
The bottom picture is the more recent picture. The eye is somewhat rounded out, and he tends to shut his eyes sometimes and bumps them out. He may just be ready for a shed but rather be safe than sorry.

I don't see MBD at all-but I do need to ask-what kind of UVB bulb do you have-it is absolutley crucial to have one. 125 watts is really strong. Are you certain of your temps? Too high and if he is basking could help to dry out his eyes. Your free range may not be providing enough humidty. He may just be cleaning them, though. I would quit the saline and just mist a little more and see what happens.

before i opened your post i saw the thread title and said this will probably be a panther haha :p im going to guess 125 bulb is a solar glo (in my experience, great bulb but not for panthers)....personally where i would start is a 5.0 linear tube with a regular house bulb.

Yes, I just got him a new mist system so the problem is already clearing up. His eyes are pretty much not swollen at all. And he is about due for a shed. The bulb though has been moved further from him. I also added a linear tube on the other side of the cage. He is super active as usual and back on track. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom