Emergency Trillian is prolapsing

Echoezra

Established Member
On way to vet right now
I don't think he's very familiar so tell me important things to do/not do / tell him!
She looks really bad
Positive vibes everybody
I desperately don't want to lose her

Oh no!!! not Trillian. I would make sure it is kept moist as always. Some ky or a paper towel kept wet and on the area. Im sorry i dont know more about it, let me see if I can find anything for you.

I did a quick search, ky and sugar water seem to be the most common suggestions and then to a vet.
I am wishing you and Trillian the best.

Most important is to keep the prolapse moist all the time (cold compresses work fine). A little sugar added can help to get the tissue smaller if swollen.

First, your vet needs to find out which organ is prolapsed (gut, oviduct, cloaca?) and whether the tissue's vital or not. If tissue's still vital, he will be able to try to put the tissue back gently (e.g. gut can be fixed at the abdominal wall with stitches under slight anesthesia) and prevent another prolapse by a purse-strint suture if necessary. If there are lesions or dirt on the prolapse, he needs to clean and repair those before, of cause. Look out for inverted tissue! This would need to be put in proper position and not only pushed inside the body. If the tissue already's necrotizing (I don't think so cause you surely noticed and reacted immediately after it happened), your vet will need to find another solution depending on the organ prolapsed (e.g. oviduct could be resected without problems, but it's much more difficult with dead parts of gut or cloaca).

You might think about reasons for the prolapse with your vet afterwards... maybe some can be avoided in future.

Hope the best for your girl.

They're prepping her for anesthetic & surgery now.
I didn't have any KY, so I just kept it moist with water.
He said he thinks it looks like gut not reproductive.
He took X-rays, said her bones dont look too bad, a couple not as dense spots, but nothing looked too bad to me. And she does have eggs (I didn't think she did)
He went on to tell me that he thinks she was born with a vitamin A & Vitamin D deficiency. And that there is no proof that there is any fat in insects.
I tried to question those things but he asked me my education level "no offense" (wtf?) and just said the article will explain it. and i tried to aak about timelines of vitamin deficiencies and explain what i thought may have been the cause or partial cause, but he just kept cutting me off
The vet's all mad at me now because he insisted on reading over this whole like 10 page article from 2003 (that he read to me last year when my first chameleon was dying, I suspect he bases his whole chameleon knowledge off this one article) and I asked him to stop and do the surgery first and talk about cause & husbandry afterwards.
I thought maybe he was just waiting for her to die while we talked. She was really really weak.
Anyways, they did he surgery, just waiting for dr to come out and talk to me

Well, she made it through the surgery, and looked ok, but then her breathing rate dropped so they had me leave her there for a while they had her on a heating pad and were stroking her and putting water on her mouth. They said she had a mucous plug in her mouth they cleared out.
Going back there in a little while - they said 4 but I'm thinking early.

oh Trillian, Im pulling for you girl you can do it. Keep your head up Mel I knwo it is very hard.

Just got back to the vets to check on her.
She didn't make it.
Her breathing slowed down even more, the girl said she passed away half an hour ago.

That is so sad. I am so very sorry for your loss. You did everything that you could for her.

My heart goes out to you. At least you rushed her to the vets and tried to save her. You have my deepest condolences.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm so glad you were able to get her seen so quickly though, that will be a small comfort.

I am very sorry for your loss, I have been keeping up with your thread for the past couple of hours or so. You did all you could and you got her the attention she needed so I would feel a little more comfortable knowing that like Trillian said. I hope you can make some light out of this not so fun situation and learn from it. I hope that you feel better soon.

Back
Top Bottom