Eggs and Incubation Questions

poker01619

I have two cluches in the incubator right now. First is 9mo and the second is 8mo. The icubator is set at 75 F, in the pics I dont have the lids on. They are all plump and good looking about 40 in all. There was 55 in all at frist but some didnt turn out. I hear about some panthers hatching before 9mo. Sould I be worried. Am I doing this right Please post comments with ur thoughts.:eek:

IMG_0326.jpg IMG_0329.jpg IMG_0330_2.jpg

Patience is a virtue they look fine how is the moisture in the substrate? You should start seeing lines in the eggs then after that they should start sweating you have to look close.

Did you induce a diapause ??? If you did , you should see hatching at 7-9 months at those temps; if you didn't they could go 12 months.

Patience is a virtue they look fine how is the moisture in the substrate? You should start seeing lines in the eggs then after that they should start sweating you have to look close.

ya its moist but not to much, damp but no drip. Ya i do see little lines is that good?

Did you induce a diapause ??? If you did , you should see hatching at 7-9 months at those temps; if you didn't they could go 12 months.

Chroma is exactly right. Without the induced temperature fluctuations, mimicking a change of season, creating the "diapause", it is much harder to have an accurate expectation on incubation times. As said "patience is a virtue".

If curiosity is killing you, then you can also kill one embryo to satisfy it. Start cutting, one at a time, and keep cutting until you find a good embryo. It might be the first one you cut into. You might have to cut several. Or if none are good, make an omelette! You will get the satisfaction of knowing if its worth the further wait, aka gold at the end of your rainbow. You can kick yourself for killing one, but then will also take some satisfaction from it.

I have an acquaintance who followed that procedure to satisfy a curiosity once. Cut open eggs valued at $15K ea if they were good. He had to know about a certain genetic variation. First one, he hit gold. Then he cried. Then he made accurate plans for all the money he was going to, and did, make.

What temps are suggested for the faux diapause and for how long? How long after being laid should a diapause be induced? I know opinions may vary and I hope I'm not encroaching on anybody's secrets!

I don't use a diapause being in the northeast it occurs naturally when it gets cold the temp in the incubator drops. What I have read is most diapause can last a month or longer different chameleons have longer or shorter time in dappause.

We are getting this into the upcoming Adcham profile updates ...

But here you go, tried and true for panthers, but producing improved results in veileds and Oustalets. 3 steps

1) 74-78 degrees F : No less than first two weeks, need not be more than first four weeks.

2) Reduce to 65-68 degrees F : No less than next six weeks, need not be more than next eight weeks.

3) Return to 74-78 F : panthers hatch about 14-15 weeks after this re-warm-up.

This is not the only recipe that will work, but it is as tried and true as any.

But here you go, tried and true for panthers, but producing improved results in veileds and Oustalets. 3 steps

1) 74-78 degrees F : No less than first two weeks, need not be more than first four weeks.

2) Reduce to 65-68 degrees F : No less than next six weeks, need not be more than next eight weeks.

3) Return to 74-78 F : panthers hatch about 14-15 weeks after this re-warm-up.

This is not the only recipe that will work, but it is as tried and true as any.

jim you told me this recipe a few months back on the phone when i ordered some oustalets i am currently doing it to 2 panther clutches will see you MAD scientist i had 38 should be some super yellow veilds hatch in the past 3 days took just a week over 6 months to hatch.

When you said 'Some of them didnt make it'

What do you mean?

I hope you didnt throw them out cause they didnt look good..?

You may have killed good eggs..

It was expressed solely as a range to stay within, and not as a start and end point. You can begin them anywhere in that range, and let it fluctuate within that range, and not alter the results.

Back
Top Bottom