Eating sand!!

HolyToledo

I was cleaning out my old girl's cage and set the bucket of sand off to the side.

Mister is free ranging and made a bee-line for the bucket and started eating the sand! I put him back up higher and moved the bucket but he got down and went back to the bucket and started eating the sand again.

What is wrong with him and is this a really bad thing?

He got about 5 tonguefuls of the stuff.:eek:

Perhaps it's a sign of mineral deficiency. People do strange things too when this happens. Or maybe sand tastes delicious. Either way, you need it covered. Watch him like a hawk and his cage too for defecation. If he's impacted you need to respond fast. I'd call for a vet appt. now just to be safe so you can get him there in time if something's up. The good thing is that sand is small and should pass.

Perhaps only allow the bucket during supervised hours... Or switch your medium to something less enticing. Sand can be abrasive while digging too.

Should I offer some on occasion and in small amounts?

He usually doesn't have access to sand or dirt.

In the beginning, I was keeping the boy and girl in the same enclosure so maybe he recognized the bucket and knew it was full of sand? But as soon as he saw that he could get to it, he was on the way. LOL

I know that when he went for his x-rays at 6 mos. the vet said he had some kind of particulate in his guts and we discussed the sand. Vet said same thing about the minerals and being small enough to pass.

I just thought it was kinda strange that he kept trying to get back to the bucket for more.:confused:

I thought we were talking about a female, lol. :p

Maybe he's just..... dumb. :D

Nah, but keep an eye on him and keep us posted if you take him to the vet/results.

Update on the sand-muncher

Everything passed well.

He was very disappointed when he got back over to the sand bucket only to find there was a lid over it. Sat above it and turned all grey and brown for awhile. I finally gave in and let him get one dip in. That too has passed.

So if he is so attracted to it, would it be so bad to give him a dip here and there? He goes to the bucket every day that he is anywhere near it (it is below one of his free-range areas).

And maybe the "dumb" comes in under the vet's labeling him "special needs"! LOL

maybe he is lacing minerals and thinks he will gain it from the sand, what are you dusting his crickets with?

I have a couple that love to come down when free ranging outside and grab a mouthful of dirt, dead leaves, whatever. And another couple that never do.
Dogs, horses and other animals do this. Maybe looking for some extra minerals. To me, as long as it isn't a large amt all at once, I think it is healthy for them. Mine never have a problem with it. I allow a mouthful then shoosh then back up :)
This is me and what I do, you have to make your own call. I don't helicopter, I allow them as much "natural" time as possible
Anne

Back
Top Bottom