dubia nymphs for hatchlings

Takara

Has anyone bred chams on dubia nymphs instead of pinhead crix? I can't find a clear answer in this section.

Has anyone bred chams on dubia nymphs instead of pinhead crix? I can't find a clear answer in this section.

they are to big for new babies after about a month in a half some will be able to eat them. try red runners they are another feeder roach that has babies the size of pin head crickets they work awesome:D

they are to big for new babies after about a month in a half some will be able to eat them. try red runners they are another feeder roach that has babies the size of pin head crickets they work awesome:D

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to do some research on them!

be careful of red runners- they are a known pest species, can survive extreme cold, and are now illegal in some states because they infest. Exterminators are trained to deal with them. I wish I had never tried them- I've got them running around my lizard building and yard years later. Thankfully I never brought them into my home and they have stayed out. I've found them in my yard after a month of snow on the ground beneath boards running around with snow on the ground. Last summer we went to our usual camping spot at the beach near a navy base- guess what was new this year? (In addition to the campsite being zoomed by helicopters with spotlights and drills using gunfire in the middle of the night? LOL) Red runners from the base had invaded the campsite and were everywhere in the campsite after dark. They were extremely bold and practically jumped onto us and any food we tried eating after dark. It was really disgusting.

If you must try a smaller roach- go with lobsters. They are non-infestive, and not quite as hardy as the red racers, although still very durable and hardy. They can survive out in the lizard building, but don't infest and breed everywhere and I never see them loose in the yard at the end of the summer after using millions of them over the past decade. Compare that with a few thousand red racers turning into permanent visitors...

Lobsters are one of my most important food sources for lizards, but I would still not use them in my home though- just a personal preference. Some will escape and they live a couple of years quite comfortably even in a cool home, provided they can find any source of moisture at all...

I also breed dubia and am quite comfortable using dubia in my home.

Thanks for the tips! I'm starting to think a secondary containment for all the bugs wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom