Dropping eggs

Ace

Avid Member
Hi all, I still have my chams, and have been very busy as of late....and to my surprised state about 3 days ago i found two white eggs on the floor of my female's cage.....it hit me that she is ready to lay, but was a shock because she had not shown size of digging or loss of appetite until that day....I felt her belly and she didnt seem to have eggs...i tried placing her in a digging box but no luck until today i placed her in a trash bin with damp sand and a little hibiscus branch with leaves i cut off to make her feel confortable and left her alone today.....

An hour ago i admit i peaked in her bin and found that she dropped 4 more eggs with no sign of digging,

she has not been bred and all eggs are infertile

I'm asking if this is normal or not....anyway im taking her to the vet tomorrow because as of recent she closed one of her eyes, i tried washing it out with saline solution for a few days but no luck....i didnt want to put more stress so stopped and figured to go to the vet for her eye to be cleaned better i hope....maybe throw in an x-ray to see if she has remaining eggs

as of now she is still in the trash bin alone and covered for the rest of the night to see if she will lay or "drop" more eggs....

thats my story, and hope anyone can shed some light for me

knowing your info about females and egg-laying is WAY different than actually EXPERIENCING IT...very stressful:eek:

it is not normal per say, but it happens from time to time. as far as i know, if the eggs are being laid, then it's fine

thanks, well i'll give it time, at least the eggs are coming out, better than her being egg bound

i heard healthy females regardless of having a laying bin or not will in the last resort drop eggs

and can it be possible that the female knows the eggs are infertile and would not need to dig for them? just a thought

I don't know if she knows not to waste the effort, but it's still sort of concerning. I wouldn't know why she isn't using her bin... Mine won't use her bin but always lays in her umbrella plant pot (leaving my plant more and more dead -.-) but she still digs. I don't know why yours wouldn't attempt to dig at all.

Best of luck with her though, I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

It isn't normal and it also isn't a really bad thing either. Some healthy females drop eggs even before they start to dig and lay them. You're taking her to the vet so that'll tell you if anythings wrong or not, but she should dig after a while of being in the trash bin. Some females will take a little longer than others to dig and lay their eggs.

I guess I am out of the loop here as I did not know you even had a female!!! It is funny you posted today cause I was just thinking about you and how you are never on the forum much anymore...and here you are! Hoping all goes well for you and your cham Ace! Let us know the outcome!

Back
Top Bottom