Double bulb fixture?

KingJulien

I am ordering my panther a new metal screen cage today, a 24x24x48. I want to get him a fixture that will hold both a 18" reptisun 5.0 and a 18" plant bulb. I think the basking bulb should be seperate so I can adjust the height according to the heat.

Does this sound right? Does anyone know where I can get a fixture like that without paying an arm and a leg? The individual 18" bulb fixtures are $26.99 each, but the fancy fixtures that hold two bulbs are much much more.

Ideas? Advice?

Unfortunately I found the same thing. The only solution I could forsee was to buy a ballast and all other items and make one myself. I just never got around to it. I ended up using the UVB tube on one cage with a 6500 daylight CF in a dome for the plant light. It puts of way more light then the plant tubes do anyways.

Unfortunately I found the same thing. The only solution I could forsee was to buy a ballast and all other items and make one myself. I just never got around to it. I ended up using the UVB tube on one cage with a 6500 daylight CF in a dome for the plant light. It puts of way more light then the plant tubes do anyways.

It's looking like I might have to go that way, too. I was hoping to have less "stuff" cluttering up the top of the cage. :( Bummer.

On the bright side, I already have domes so I will save a few bucks.

I've found them at Home Depot, Lowes, Osh and even Walmart for a good price less then 20$

Usually it's easier to find 24" fixtures.

Edit: Haha Jannb bet me to it!

I got the fixture for my ReptiGlo at WalMart for something like $8. It's an undercounter fixture and comes in sizes that hold 18" and 24" bulbs. Even if you got two instead of trying to find a fixture that holds two bulbs, you would be under $20. :)

I got the fixture for my ReptiGlo at WalMart for something like $8. It's an undercounter fixture and comes in sizes that hold 18" and 24" bulbs. Even if you got two instead of trying to find a fixture that holds two bulbs, you would be under $20. :)

I was concerned about the lack of a reflector on one of those. Is the output still good?

I don't currently have access to a meter to know for sure, but I see Napoleon bask under it every day, and he doesn't squish himself up against the top.

If you have access to a meter, you could try it out since the fixture is only around $8. You could try it with a tinfoil backing if you find that the output is low.

i got my dual fixture from one of our sponsors. DIY cages.
A bit pricy but the reflector on it and the way its built makes
the top of my cage look a bit more organized.
They have 18" dual fixtures as well as 24".

Thanks everyone. I decided to go with a combination 24" linear + 2 incandescent fixture ffrom LLL. I can use regular plant bulbs instead of linear. It was a little lower profile than the DIY one.

Hopefully he likes the new setup. I think he's tired of his smaller cage now.

Now the only problem is to figure out what to do with the empty cage....

:confused::confused::confused:

I would get a dual 24" but you'll have a heck of a time finding 6500K lamps for it in T8 size at HD or Lowe's. You might find them at specialy lamp/lighting stores... and online.

I am pretty sure HD has a dual 18" or 24"... one or the other.

I would get a dual 24" but you'll have a heck of a time finding 6500K lamps for it in T8 size at HD or Lowe's. You might find them at specialy lamp/lighting stores... and online.

I am pretty sure HD has a dual 18" or 24"... one or the other.

Yeah I saw some garage type fixtures at home depot. The only problem is that they are not designed to direct the light downward, the light would come out from the side. It may seem like a small issue, but it would be difficult to place and keep the tin foil in place, and when looking at the cage the light would be directed downward and toward the eyes. After looking at them a little longer, I decided the advantage of the fixture I decided on is that I can change the setup, either have one plant bulb or two. Or add a night light if it's getting too cold at night.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/light-fixtures/-/zoo-med-24-combination-reptile-hood/

Maybe I'm overthinking how blinding that can be...DH and I used to have saltwater tanks and all the lights required for that.

I use fixtures that do no have built in reflectors. I use aluminum foil to help direct the light downward. in fact I use foil on every singly light fixture I have, unless it already has an aluminum reflector, such as the HD/Lowe's clip light domes.

This is an old photo of a fixture used over a free range that I no longer have setup, but gives you an idea of how I use the foil...

IMG_8770.jpg

Take a look to see how well foil helps UVB output...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/some-readings-22893/

I saw that thread! Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to post for those of us that don't have access to a meter. I will definitely be adding aluminum foil to my fixture. From this pic I can see you used the duller (not shiny) side to reflect the light?

I saw that thread! Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to post for those of us that don't have access to a meter. I will definitely be adding aluminum foil to my fixture. From this pic I can see you used the duller (not shiny) side to reflect the light?

I have found it doesn't matter what side you use.

Good to know. :) I will post pics when I get it all set up and looking pretty. He gets his own room for now, with the bugs, but I have plans...

Instead of using a double fixture, Just put the whole enclosure outside and Use the power of the DOUBLE RAINBOW!!

Right now LLL has the dual fixture exo terra light control setup thingy for like $40. It holds 2 bulbs, and creates a "dawn" and "dusk" situation and slowely fades lights in and out and has a built in timer. IDK how it works but Ive been looking to get it for my 4x2x2 that i have my sulcata hatchlings in

Back
Top Bottom