does my female look gravid?

beeek0

I noticed this morning that my female panther chameleon was displaying some dark grey and pink colors.. So I thought, maybe she is starting to become gravid? But I wanted to post a picture of her on here to see if anyone could tell me.. she may look kind of small compared to the leaves in the picture but she is about 2 years.. But if she does look gravid, how long should i wait until I introduce the male to her?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...44552_100003538206515_178862_2071679084_n.jpg

thanks,
Bee

Here's the image~

374114_150167208444552_100003538206515_178862_2071679084_n.jpg

could you post a photo from the side more?

for some reason yahoo isn't letting us access to these photos. you can upload them directly with the attachment (paperclip) button

I noticed this morning that my female panther chameleon was displaying some dark grey and pink colors.. So I thought, maybe she is starting to become gravid? But I wanted to post a picture of her on here to see if anyone could tell me.. she may look kind of small compared to the leaves in the picture but she is about 2 years.. But if she does look gravid, how long should i wait until I introduce the male to her?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...44552_100003538206515_178862_2071679084_n.jpg

thanks,
Bee

Hi Bee, i can't tell if she is gravid or not. But gravid means she is carrying eggs, fertile or infertile. If she is already gravid introducing the male won't help. What you want to to find her receptive. That means she is willing to male with your male. Let the female sit on your hand and show her to the male. If she turns dark and hisses she is not receptive. If she doesn't do that, put her in his cage a watch carefully. Be ready to remove her if she turns dark and try's to bite or is hissing at the male. Let us know how it goes.

ohhh okay. I thought gravid meant receptive. thanks for clearing that up. I will definitely have to try that.. she is a feisty one though haha

okay, so I showed her to him and she didn't show any black colors or hiss at him and i held her on my hand for a good 5 minutes slightly inside his cage.. he was nodding his head and showing a lot of colors.. so i put her inside and watched.. she still stayed a greyish color with blueish teal colors but was a little puffed up.. i continued to watch and as he would slowly try to come towards her she would slowly back away.. Is she still not quite ready yet?

can't really tell from a pic if she is gravid. it looks like she's just trying to abosorb the heat. here are a couple of pics to help. the first one is a pic of my rayli receptive...very peach and pink (ready to breed) and the second pic is a week after mating...peach and pink w/ dark bars (not receptive). she's obviously gravid in this pic b/c i mated her and she's packed on some weight and i can feel the eggs in her belly. hope these help.

Attachments

• receptive.jpg
    receptive.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 172
  • not receptive.jpg
    not receptive.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 271
Thank you! I always see other peoples amboilobes in pictures and it looks like their arms are thicker than mine are.. Do you know why and is it bad for my ambilobe to have skinnier arms than the one in your pictures?

Thank you! I always see other peoples amboilobes in pictures and it looks like their arms are thicker than mine are.. Do you know why and is it bad for my ambilobe to have skinnier arms than the one in your pictures?

I can't say why yours is skinnier than mine but every Cham is different. How old is yours and how much does she weigh?

she is about 2 years old and I am not quite sure about her weight

Before you try to breed her, just make sure she's healthy. If you can weigh her, that will be nice so that you can tell after mating how much weight she's putting on. another reason to get her weight is if she is gravid, you'll be able to tell if and when she laid bc her weight will have dropped drastically from laying. Good luck!!!

okay thanks! I'd definitely going to have to get a scale.. where is the best place to get a decent one for a cheap price?

Bed Bath and Beyond has a nice scale that you can get for about $20 that you can weigh either oz or grams. I find it useful for using as a postage meter and for weighing chams. Don't get anything that won't weigh grams because they are useless for cham weighing.

Back
Top Bottom