Do you dive?

ferretinmyshoes

Veterinarian
Staff member
Looking for other scuba divers! I learned to scuba dive for our honeymoon to Belize and it was one of the coolest things I've ever done by far. I can't wait to go diving again and was just wondering who else dives and where? I dove the Great Blue Hole and got to swim with whale sharks while we were in Belize. Where have you been and what did you see?

29736_10100290545182004_8314299_64245925_465242_n.jpg

I loved diving, mostly Catalina Island off the cali coast. Also Mexico & once in the bahamas. Notice I said loved. i now have asthma. My husband is a divemaster and there is no way he will ever let me dive again.:( He still dives when he gets a chance.

AWSOME:eek::eek::eek:

but i thought you went "sky diving":rolleyes:, i actually will do both "divings" before i kick the bucket;)

Aw, that sucks laurie! I never really thought about asthmatics not being able to dive... was there much to see off Catalina? I thought the water was pretty cold there. I've only dove tropical so far so I bet the scenery was really different!

And Ace - my mom wants the whole family to go skydiving for her bday next year so maybe I'll have pics of that soon too. ;)

It was cold diving at Catalina, beach diving on the coast was even worst. The sand brought visibility down to 15 ft. Catalina was only cold after 50ft or so. Watching the sea otters was great. Getting caught in the kelp not so much. But hubby cut me out no problem.:) A good part of the time visibility at Catalina was 50 to 65 ft.

It was cold diving at Catalina, beach diving on the coast was even worst. The sand brought visibility down to 15 ft. Catalina was only cold after 50ft or so. Watching the sea otters was great. Getting caught in the kelp not so much. But hubby cut me out no problem.:) A good part of the time visibility at Catalina was 50 to 65 ft.

all the channel islands are awesome to dive bkside of anacappa island ya swim with the sealions. its all good for local stuff...

Cozumel was awesome, 110 ft below and I could still see the sun! The coral reef is spectacular and warm, I think one day I put a skin on, but other than that just the kini!
but like Laurie, just found out after a fall off my horse I have a really bad heart (@ 52) so instead of diving I get my chest cracked open.
Sure hope the Dr. puts the "girls" back where they are! only part gravity hasn't taken

Cozumel was awesome, 110 ft below and I could still see the sun! The coral reef is spectacular and warm, I think one day I put a skin on, but other than that just the kini!
but like Laurie, just found out after a fall off my horse I have a really bad heart (@ 52) so instead of diving I get my chest cracked open.
Sure hope the Dr. puts the "girls" back where they are! only part gravity hasn't taken

The divemasters at the shop were we dove played a little trick on us...everyone else on the boat (including the divemasters) had a wetsuit, most were shorties, but they must have wanted a laugh because they told us we wouldn't need them unless we were wusses. So we felt a little naked compared to everyone else, especially when we dropped down to 110ft in the blue hole and it rained on the way back on another dive. The drop actually wasn't the cold part, and the water felt uncomfortably warm comparatively when we came back up to the shallows! I did shiver and shake in the rain though... I've heard Cozumel is great diving!

Hope your girls don't migrate! ;)

i just started taking dive classes. i havent been in open water yet but it is awesome. im sure Catalina will be my first

I haven't dive in years - I need to get my PADI certification -, but snorkeling is almost as good! Catalina is a great spot for that! Another great spot for both is at Refugio State Beach in Santa Barbara.

I freedive regularly in CA and MEX. My favorite species to eat are abalone, urchins, and lobster and a few other species. Occasionaly spearfish but I am mostly lower on the food chain. It is more fun to just comb over the reef and see everything. I am always looking down at snails and such too much to spot the gamefish.

I haven't dive in years - I need to get my PADI certification -, but snorkeling is almost as good! Catalina is a great spot for that! Another great spot for both is at Refugio State Beach in Santa Barbara.

Yeah I had been snorkling a lot before I learned to dive. It's just so cool to get to see it so much closer and more freely! Are there reefs around Catalina?

All over the Caribbean, but my favorites are Barbados, Curacau, Margarita Island, Venezuela, and Tobago. :D

All over the Caribbean, but my favorites are Barbados, Curacau, Margarita Island, Venezuela, and Tobago. :D

We are either going to Costa Rica or Hawaii this year for vacation, so we'll be doing some snorkling for sure!

Back
Top Bottom